SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My LS3/5As

View previous topic :: View next topic  
geoffwood
Intermediate Contributor 25+

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:15 am    Post subject: My LS3/5As Reply with quote

About 20 years ago - borrowed a pair of Rogers for the weekend.

Stripped and measured everything, including crossover (transformer version).

Made x-over pcbs and got chokes wound.

Made cab from MDF instead of birch ply, but couldn't find the bitumous lining material so used 1/8" LEAD !!!

But on the x-over I missed a bit of track, resulting in the tweeters pulsing in synch with the bass ! Fortunately twigged to what had happened before any damage.

They are still running well, and are sited in the exact situation for which they were designed and aligned - on a bookshelf above my audio editing computer.

Have since added a sub, so I don't need to watch the woofers to get a sense of the bass and more Wink

geoff
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds nice. Any pictures?
MGM
Intermediate Contributor 25+

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My own LS3/5as have been long in the making. I acquired two NOS T27s and a pair of matched B110s of the type used in the BBC LS3/5as 1&2 . These have the flexible leads showing on the B110 cone.

Two new Falcon Acoustics FL6/23 crossovers, Harbeth LS3/5a cabinets and baffles, tweeter domes, felt squares from Falcon Acoustics. The genuine Tygan grilles came from Sid Chaplin.

Other sundries from Stirling Broadcast. The drive units were matched to the crossovers with help from Jerry Bloomfield of Falcon Acoustics.

I spent ages very carefully assembling the speakers, checking each stage carefully before moving on.

The result ? Superb.
I have owned three different pairs of commercially produced LS3/5as, and these sound indistinguishable from them.

To use a modern phrase, I am 'Well pleased.'
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> LS3/5a All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: