SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wilmslow Audio Concerto upgrade network

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Craigb
Intermediate Contributor 25+

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:06 am    Post subject: Wilmslow Audio Concerto upgrade network Reply with quote

Hi there,

Many moons ago, when I was on my OE, I bought a pair of crossovers from Wilmslow that were described thus:

'"Concerto Upgrade Crossover Network.

Designed by KEF and made by Wilmslow Audio. The "Concerto Upgrade" replaces the KEF DN12 crossover in systems such as the KEF Concerto. KEFTkit3 etc using the B139, B110. T27 combination. Much more sophisticated than the original crossover, the network "cleans up" the response and improves detail and definition - and also increases power handling. 48.95 pounds + p&p "

It has 18 elements that I have tried to trace without much success.

Just wondering if anyone can give more details that might further identify these? Also are they better/worse that the DN12 or Falcon equivalents?

BTW I still have the intact catalogues of Wilmslows circa 84 and 89 that if they are not copyright protected I would be willing to post copies if anyone might be interested.

Cheers.
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Wilmslow Audio Concerto upgrade network Reply with quote

Gosh, if copyright is ok some would be of great interest...

Andy.
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The offerings from Wilmslow Audio are more expensive "cut-down" versions of the Falcon type 53 which is the full KEF CAD design.

The Wilmslow pcb is much bigger than the two boards offered by Falcon, which are per the KEF design to reduce inductive coupling.

I can take a photograph of both a Wilmslow offering and a Falcon 53 so that size and build quality can be assessed if someone wants to host the image.

As none of the original partners are involved with Wilmslow Audio all I can suggest is that Swift's of Wilmslow be contacted regarding permission to reproduce the 1984 catalogue content as it was owned by one of the original three, the 1989 one when they were based in Altringham might be more of a problem.
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
Craigb

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for that Colin.
I can't get over how much knowledge you have on the subject of KEF!
In fact it is so great to hear the contributions of you, Proffski and Speakerguru on this forum - I just hope that the combined Intelligence that has been gathered here will be preserved. I have learnt so much since I have joined this group, I really appreciate reading all your comments even if it's a subject that I have not participated in. And thanks Allan for giving us the opportunity to participate.

I was starting to think that the crossover might be similar to the Auskef after I looked at the photo that you supplied to this site. It may not look the same by a long shot but you can see the similarities. And it is so different from the Falcon 6R in one of my other models (even if that one is 4 way).

I would love to be able upload an image of these crossovers, complete with the hand written instructions for how to attach the component speakers, if someone could only show me how.

Also Allen if you are reading I have a complete set of the data sheets of the Constructer series from T27 to B300 and CS1 to CS9 (not in German as you have here!) and also the 104AB kit building instructions (complete with pictures of man with beard and plaid shirt! ) that I'm willing to send if you are interested.

p.p.s . Allen. The documents you have titled KEFKITS don't seem to load - not sure what the issue might be.

Cheers
Craig
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just scan the stuff and send it to Terry Allan, terry@hifiloudspeakers.info and if you feel so minded do a CC and BCC to colin and andy at the same addy, being a former employee I don't think Henry will be too interested Wink .

Regarding site content, apart from the usual load of ePrey pimps and scammers at least three Physics/Acoustics Departments of UK Universities keep an eye on us Very Happy .
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
Craigb

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Shyte, I've been calling mein host by the wrong name! My most sincere apologies Terry, must have got myself confused with the allansonline stuff. Please forgive me.
Thanks for the advice Colin, which I will be following in the very near future.
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craigb wrote:
Oh Shyte, I've been calling mein host by the wrong name!

I always get them confused, my excuse is age and too much Laphroaig... Embarassed
Craigb

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah Laphroaig what a fine drop.... Must admit I fell hook, line and sinker for Linkwood when I could get it, but it's pretty hard to find it over this way these days. I've had to settle for some fine Bowmore in the duty free in the last few years; not too shaby I must admit!

I've been busy scanning what I have and will be sending to interested parties as soon as possible.
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awaiting the scan material with great anticipation.

Has anybody else noticed otr is it just me?
Good Claret, Burgundy or Whisky is responsible for burnt out tweeters, damaged bass units and even setting electrostatics on fire...

Oh, as well as a tweeter in a modified 104ab, but I shall not dwell on that one...
Craigb

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've scanned catalogue 1 from 89 and it has come to 23megs, I zipped it and it came to 23 megs - Might be a tad much for email. So I think I will complete scanning everything I have and then find some alternate method to get it to you guys. Will keep you posted.

I think I've heard part of the story of your 104abs tweeters before - must be
becoming part of legend!
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was young and naive... Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: