SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KEF B110 voice coil? HELP

View previous topic :: View next topic  
David
Intermediate Contributor 75+

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: KEF B110 voice coil? HELP Reply with quote

I just have purchased a set of Audiomaster LS3/5a.

On one speaker on loud bass passages I can hear distortion, which sounds to me like the voice coil is rubbing. It is particularly apparent in very low frequencies, eg. low A on electric bass more than string bass.
If I keep down the volume there is no problem, but when the volume is increased so does the problem. I am not talking earth shattering volume, but slightly above normal listening levels.

I opened up the cabinets and checked the mounting bolts on the B110, to make sure it wasn't rattling.

I also turned the speaker upside down which seemed to help the problem. It has only been upside down 1/2 day.

I am using a Dyna ST 70 with Audible Illusions Mod 3.

I can return the speakers to the seller, but after hearing them, would like to keep them if I can get this issue sorted out.

BTW, the LS3/5a make me seriously think of selling my BC1s they are that good.

Any thoughts about the problem.

Thx
David
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've diagnosed the problem of gravimetric sag yourself, well done Very Happy .

Now you've just got to remove the baffle turn the B110A upside down and put it all back together.

Give it 6-8 weeks rest, if it's fine then.........

you've got a couple of years to find a replacement or rebuild/recone/refoam firm who can recentre or replace the voice coil and cloth suspension for when it eventually sags and starts rubbing again.

Rather than a couple of weeks that the seller might give you.

If the speakers are original it might be worth while turning the other B110A upside down too Wink .
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
David

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx Colin. They are original. The cases are not the best and the idiot that I bought them from damaged the inside edges with a screwdriver, but I can do some repairs to make them presentable.

I am glad I sold my Kan IIs. Whoever said they were competition for the LS3/5a was all wet.

I will see what I can do with the seller.

David
David

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx Colin for the tip.

The gravity solution worked and the LS3/5as are singing again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> LS3/5a All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: