SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking to build CS-9s
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmarchitect
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:26 am    Post subject: Looking to build CS-9s Reply with quote

I'm interested in building a pair of CS-9s and would love to hear from anyone who knows where I might find a pair of good condition B300B/Sp1071 LF drivers. Thanks.
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know Nick Beasley of the Emporium had some.

Unless you have a lady friend who pilots a U.S.A.F. C141 Starlifter shipping will be prohibative Sad .
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
ian t
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking to build CS-9s Reply with quote

There's also a pair of B300 Constructor series currently on German Ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.de/KEF-B-300-Constructor-Series_W0QQitemZ260199938416QQihZ016QQcategoryZ75781QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Might be worth enquiring if they would ship them further afield?
jmarchitect
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much and Happy New Year to you both. I have contacted the eBay seller you mentioned to ask about shipping, so we'll see...I will try Mr. Beasley next if I can locate him or the "Emporium." Any hints? Thanks again.
jmarchitect
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, no go from German seller, any hints on Mr. Beasley or any other source? Thanks in advance...
ian t
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my experience I found the B200 (a la KEF 105.4)to be a preferable option to the B300 in the CS9 design. The B300 always sounded too"slow" fat and overprominent.It never seemed to blend properly with the midrange driver unless used in a very large room and moved well away from any room boundaries.YMMV.
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I found the B200 (a la KEF 105.4)to be a preferable option to the B300 in the CS9 design

So where is he going to get four 5 Ohm SP1075 drive units from them?

Kurt, http://www.hifiloudspeakers.info/speakertalk/viewtopic.php?t=698 cannot even find one!
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
jmarchitect
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again to both of you. Very interesting suggestion, though I must say it's probably far beyond my abilities to think about tinkering with the specifications of the cabinet and crossover designs. I have contacted Malcolm Jones w/ Falcon who indicates he can supply the crossovers, and I feel confident about fashioning the enclosures (though, of course, helpful hints are always welcome). I wouldn't know the first thing about starting to modify either system. There is a semi-local seller here that is willing to shift a pair of 105.4s that look vgc for c. $ 450 US. Would you consider this a better bet acoustically than the CS9 project, even though I would like to construct them myself?

I also saw a new listing for a pair of NOS B300Bs on ebay.co.uk, but am floored by the asking price (200 GBP + 100 GBP shipping). Is this what I should expect? Thanks again.
jmarchitect
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Colin, Just read your post to Kurt re: his issues and was curious about your comment about a KEF spec sheet detailing the use of the 2 B200 w/ the CS9 crossover. Do you know whether it is posted anywhere? Also, does the cabinet also require modification? Thanks again.
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
floored by the asking price (200 GBP + 100 GBP shipping).

Mr Beasley is a tad expensive at that, £75-£85 per driver would be the approximate cost if you took a hammer to some Ref 105-2s.

Quote:
semi-local seller here that is willing to shift a pair of 105.4s that look vgc for c. $ 450 US

Grab them!

Quote:
your comment about a KEF spec sheet detailing the use of the 2 B200 w/ the CS9 crossover. Do you know whether it is posted anywhere? Also, does the cabinet also require modification

The 105-2/4 clone is in a book of KEF designs that came sometime after Terry's on the main site.

Nobody has ever offered me a real or scanned copy Sad .

All I do know (having seen a pair), is that the box is a little taller and narrower but it does use two SP1075s in series, with a standard CS9 bass crossover and the SP1057 and SP1072 use a standard CS9 mid treble board.
jmarchitect
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again,Colin, all very useful. One question: if the B200s are wired in series, are they getting the same signal and simply presenting a 10-Ohm total load in place of the B300s 8 Ohms? Okay, 2 questions: In your opinion, will the 105.4s I mentioned be better performers than the kit(s)? Subjective, I know, but...
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
if the B200s are wired in series, are they getting the same signal and simply presenting a 10-Ohm total load in place of the B300s 8 Ohms?

Yes and by some quirk ( good design) the efficiency dB/watt for two B200Gs is similar to that of a B300B, so the voicing of the whole is correct.

Quote:
In your opinion, will the 105.4s I mentioned be better performers than the kit(s)?

Possibly, as the 105-4 is regarded as a more balanced design in reviews of the time and in the opinions of owners such as "Parts", than the Ref 105-2 and it's CS9, Skyline and PL301 varients.

Last edited by ColinR on Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
ian t
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(So where is he going to get four 5 Ohm SP1075 drive units from them?)

It would be quite easy to use the commonly available 8 ohm B200s by simply rescaling the low pass network for either a 4 or 16 ohm configuration.The inductors values are halved,capacitors doubled for a 4 ohm parallel combination.Inductors doubled,capacitors halved for 16 ohm series pair.Alternatively I've used just a single 8 ohm B200 in a suitably sized enclosure and found this works very well in combination with B110/T52.
Parts
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmarchitect wrote:
Thanks again to both of you. Very interesting suggestion, though I must say it's probably far beyond my abilities to think about tinkering with the specifications of the cabinet and crossover designs. I have contacted Malcolm Jones w/ Falcon who indicates he can supply the crossovers, and I feel confident about fashioning the enclosures (though, of course, helpful hints are always welcome). I wouldn't know the first thing about starting to modify either system. There is a semi-local seller here that is willing to shift a pair of 105.4s that look vgc for c. $ 450 US. Would you consider this a better bet acoustically than the CS9 project, even though I would like to construct them myself?

I also saw a new listing for a pair of NOS B300Bs on ebay.co.uk, but am floored by the asking price (200 GBP + 100 GBP shipping). Is this what I should expect? Thanks again.

Hello,

I would thoroughly recommend the Kef 105.4 speakers. They are quite superb.

Here is some specification.

jmarchitect
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Parts,

I wonder if you could comment (subjectively again, of course) on the large (numerical) low-end difference between the two. 17Hz sounds significant, although I do see that the difference narrows considerably if you expand the measurement band to -10dB. I have only ever heard the original 105 in the flesh, and was absolutely floored by them. If you have experience with them, could you compare the three? Thanks again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: