SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1972 Bailey Transmission lines - measurements wrong?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frank
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:05 am    Post subject: 1972 Bailey Transmission lines - measurements wrong? Reply with quote

I've been thinking about rebuilding a large Kefkit 3 that is about 30 years old ago to give to my sister.

I've been looking at the 1972 article by Bailey, the second one:
"The Transmission-line Loudspeaker Enclosure - a Re-examination...and a suggested new method of construction". But the measurements seem to be wrong for the internal baffles 18" and 12" respectively.

I laid out the design on an old piece of MDF from the diagram Fig 6 and Fig 7. in the article which is on this site.
If an 18" line is laid out from midway in the top left-hand corner and taken down until it is 11" in from the bottom left hand corner the 18" diagonal measures ok and it fits.
But if you then take a line for the second divider which is supposed to be 12" and take it from the top right hand corner to meet the 18" diagonal at 7" along the diagonal it is not long enough to meet.

Seems to me it needs to be approx 14". But thats if it goes from the middle of the top right corner to form a right angle with the 18" divider.
If its angled differently to form a different sized internal compartment then it can be done with the 12" but it seems more likely to be a mis-print. The problem is if its a misprint which detail is misprinted. My guess would be the 12" should be approx 14".

Has anyone actually built one ?

It might not be worth the time and trouble to re-build but I guess thats another question.
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree the 1972 plans are a "bit off" as I have a pair built from a set of parts cut by the original Wilmslow Audio team.

Email me directly and I'll supply you with a photograph of one of mine with the bottom off and you can work out the dimensions and positions of the internal dividers yourself.

"What's off" in Fig 6 of the middle page is the shorter divider is shown running to a corner, it doesn't, but it is located at a right angle 7" from the position shown Cool .
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
suffolk2
Intermediate Contributor 50+

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had a pair of bailey but sold it.

i still miss it for the extra omph at the bottom range,
compared to my calindas.

should be worth builing one again Wink
frank
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad to hear someone say its worth it - I hope my sister appreciates it! Laughing
suffolk2
Intermediate Contributor 50+

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

women dont appreciate anything if u ask me Very Happy

the baileys are very rare now, but they still sound impressive.

it makes the music come alive, thats the only way i can describe it Cool
frank
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, her first comment was:

"More stuff !" Rolling Eyes

By the way I'm not so sure the measurements are as much out as I thought; it depends on the thickness of the cabinets. I hope Dr Bailey is not turning in his grave too much.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: