SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any pics of 104ab grills?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikeytheo
Intermediate Contributor 25+

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:41 am    Post subject: Any pics of 104ab grills? Reply with quote

Hi,
Just bought a pair of 104ab's which came without grills (and of course badges). Would anyone have a decent pic of an original grill (template and cloth) and badge so that I can construct a pair that closely resembles the original?
Many thanks,
M
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject: 04ab Grilles. Reply with quote

The original 104 and 104aB grilles for the loudspeakers were special large hard open foam held on by velcro tape round the sides.
NOT to be confused with internal damping foam!

I last bought some from Falcon, try Wilmslow Audio...

The foam sat in the actual rebate of the front panel.

Try Google images for picture, or try here: http://www.kef.com/history/1970/model104.asp

For KEF logo go here: http://images.google.com/images?svnum=10&um=1&hl=en&q=KEF+logo&btnG=Search+Images
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foam from air conditioning sets is a good approximation.

The channel from top to bottom is 0.5" wide and the edges have a 45 degree chamfer.
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
larnerp
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the foam grilles on my father's Kef 104aBs deteriorated to nothing, he set out to build replacement fronts. He started by purchasing some MDF (about 9mm thick) and cut it to be a couple of millimetres narrower and shorter than the recess on the front of the speakers. He then cut large holes in the panel to the same shapes and sizes as the drivers and covered the panel with thin foam and a special black cloth (called "acoustically transparent" cloth). The cloth gave the panel a snug fit into the recess on the front of the speaker without the need for velcro attachment.

The result was boomy, caused by the close proximity of the driver to the panel (despite the holes), so he took the cloth and foam off and cut one large rectangular hole in the panel (leaving a frame about 20mm wide).

The result on this occasion was much better - indeed, so good that I used the same approach for a pair of fronts for my 104aBs!
T.O. Chef
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've made 2 pairs of grills for 104aB's using the large size grill frames from Parts Express, (USA). This required the posts on the rear of the triangular corner pieces to be cut away flush.
I sized the finished grill to friction fit tight into the recess. The cloth was stretched over the fame and stapled into the back, then the entire rear of the frame was covered in 1/8" thick self adhesive automotive foam that I had on hand.
Snug fit, no rattles, very transparent to the sound, no refraction problems.
I used one crosspiece, just above the passive and below the B-200. The crosspiece comes with the kit.
Total cost for the 2 speakers ... about $45. Canadian.
SaSi
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just received a pair of 104s with grilles in mint condition. If anyone is interested, I could post some pictures and dimensions.

The grilles are plain, hard foam, not the common one used for packing and damping. They also have decorative insets every inch or so. Must be hard to make from plain foam. Perhaps the original ones were made with a mold.
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaSi wrote:
Perhaps the original ones were made with a mold.

I was told they were machined (with a router!). The material trade name was Declon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: