SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cadenzas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
denmark
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: Cadenzas Reply with quote

Hi everyone

Thank you for sharing your collective wisdom about KEF speakers.

After years in the wilderness I finally stumbled upon a pair of Cadenzas. From the posts here they appear to be late models. Original grills, cabinets in good order, sound - something else, an absolute joy.

At present each one is sitting on a pile of bricks (four courses) - well it beats the floor.

I was shocked at how good these speakers sound. They are in quite a large room - 8mx4.5m and driven by good SS amplifers.

I just thought I would share my enthusiam and ask if there is anything I should know about this model? If already covered in previous posts I apologise in advance.

Cheers

denmark
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C Series KEF speakers appreciate a big sod of a SS amplifier with a high damping factor and some form of stand mounting, although my current use of a Turner B502 (the 190W per channel British version of the Crown/Amcron DC-150) to drive a pair of Chorale-like transmission lines might be regarded by some as overkill Very Happy .

If they are very late models built just before production ceased, the SP1022 has a square magnet as used in the B139B.

Providing they haven't got damp - (pop the ABR and sniff for vinegar. Acetic Acid is the final by product of bacterial actiity leading to the fluffy corrosion seen on loudspeaker magnets) - they'll last for years.

If you want to play, take the crossover circuit from the Tangent TM1/3 here http://home.eol.ca/~ifftay/tangent/tm1.html and double the value of L2, you then get the "Exhibition" prototype version, often seen demonstrated at 70's hi-fi shows, which does sound wonderful albeit at the expense of efficiency Cool .
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: