SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Speakers from mid 1970s

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> Linn Kan, Isobarik and others
View previous topic :: View next topic  
terry
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 11:42 am    Post subject: Speakers from mid 1970s Reply with quote

Has anyone experience of any of the speaker systems listed below (mid 1970s)? If so it would be great to hear about the perceived strengths and weaknesses of these speakers.

If anyone has pictures, brochures, handbooks, details of any of these and would be willing to email me copies then please contact me. I will be most grateful.

If anyone is still using one of these sets of speakers within their sound system I would also be pleased to receive details of the system.

IMF Monitor TLS80 A four unit system incorporating KEF B139; modified KEF B110; Rola Celestion HF1300 44mm diaphragm unit for HF; Coles 19mm chemical dome super tweeter for EHF.

Audiomaster Image 2 A two unit system incorporating KEF B200 and Peerless HF type K010 25mm soft dome

Celef Mini Professional A two unit system incorporating KEF B200 and Audax HF unit 20mm doped fabric dome.

Celef Studio Professional A three unit system incorporating KEF B139; Audax 203mm Bextrene unit to cover upper bass and mid range; Audax 25mm soft doped fabric dome tweeter.

JR 149 (Jim Rogers) Round vertically with aluminium cage. KEF B110 and KEF T27.

LNB Para-Lab Super A two unit system incorporating KEF T27 and Elac 165mm long throw bass unit.

Monitor Audio MA 4 A two unit system incorporating 220mm Bextrene cone unit, KEF B1039 and a special modified Isophon unit.

Tangent RS 6 A three unit system incorporating KEF B200 connected out-of-phase with KEF B110 and KEF T27 tweeter.

Terry
Gary
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Terry!

I am not sure where you received your Tangent RS6 information, but I have seen two sets of RS6's here in Canada. They were both made in England.

They have a KEF T-27 tweeter but use 8" Audex drivers for mid and bass.

They are being used daily! Smile

Gary

(PS Actually I saw a third pair once but they were all beat up. Perhaps only the tweeters would have worked. The previous owners had replaced all the other drivers. I did not buy them. I sort of regret that decision as I may have been able to use the crossovers and tweeters.... oh well. )
terry
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Information and picture in 'HiFi Choice Loudspeakers' by Angus McKenzie 1976; Aquarius Books Ltd. It specifies:

Tangent RS 6 A three unit system incorporating KEF B200 connected out-of-phase with KEF B110 and KEF T27 tweeter. Dimensions 810 X 315 X 05. Weight 15kg

Perhaps the drive units were changed around that time as there were recognised problems with the RS6 according to the article I have. The reviewing panel stated that the the sound was 'all heavy boom and tizz with clear evidence of mid and upper presence suck-outs'.

I suspect that you have later and improved versions of the RS6.

Terry
terry
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tangents also mentioned here
Gary
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

terry wrote:
Perhaps the drive units were changed around that time as there were recognised problems with the RS6 according to the article I have. ...I suspect that you have later and improved versions of the RS6.

Very possible.

My RS6's are different than the other pair I saw in that the crossovers are "beefed up" i.e.: the capacitors are bigger (larger), etc. I did not take a close look at the values. So I presume that they had crossover problems at one time, too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> Linn Kan, Isobarik and others All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: