SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Linn = dreadffull

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> Linn Kan, Isobarik and others
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boyzo
Intermediate Contributor 25+

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:22 am    Post subject: Linn = dreadffull Reply with quote

Linn products are simply dreadfull

Ivor T stole the concept of the LP12 from Ed Villchur of AR fame and Eds wonderfull turntable.

the LP12 is awfull it struggles to get the platter up to speed with the puny smiths clock motor, the build of the LP12 is dreadfull.

Linn's speakers too are dreadfull his Isobarik is an absolute sham.
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nudge, nudge, want to see some Electron Micrographs of the bearing of my unused Linn Sondek chassis, bought from Technical and General for £55 in the dim and distant Very Happy .

The machining on my "mass produced" Thorens TD-321's is far superior btw Cool.

http://www.theanalogdept.com/colin_royle.htm
Parts
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject: Linn speakers Reply with quote

I personaly find Linn speakers fun, they are particulary well sealed, and I prefer the Linn Kans and Isobariks to the rest of their products.

I think the turntable is not that bad, The end results which should be judged are sound quality and entertainment , and in a lot of peoples ears the LP12 was judged best , allbeit at the expence of constant retuning and of course the press helped a bit.
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: Linn speakers Reply with quote

THREE! TD-321s?! That is just plain greedy... Twisted Evil
boyzo
Intermediate Contributor 25+

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColinR wrote:
Nudge, nudge, want to see some Electron Micrographs of the bearing of my unused Linn Sondek chassis, bought from Technical and General for £55 in the dim and distant Very Happy .

The machining on my "mass produced" Thorens TD-321's is far superior btw Cool.

Not surprised

A turntable spindle needs to hardened and ground between centres if your Thorens is better it surprises me little

http://www.theanalogdept.com/colin_royle.htm
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the AR was that good then it would have built up a following like the Thorens... I so miss mine... Only fell in love with moving coil cartridges then. The Shure V15MK-whatever is somewhere in the attic with the rest of the museum.
Stuart Booth
Junior Contributor 20+

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject: The AR EB101 Enigma Reply with quote

Please sit down - NOW!!! Exclamation

In the 80's I swapped a (too bl**dy big!) TD125, 3009(2) V15(11) SME2000 plinth, for an EB101 (No wonder the dealer didn't want any money to swap.) Shocked

Having said that, and having had that one stolen some years ago, I have just bought another one. True, the platter could do with being heavier and the suspension is very flimsy and the woodwork is cheap, but coupled with the LVX look alike arm - the damned thing works. Surprised It tracks a Denon DL103 at 2.6 gms beautifully and the sound is fast, smooth and delights, Very Happy whereas my TD160 with TP16 arm is too stuffy and the music sounds very heavy and proper with an over emphasised bottom. Embarassed The AR also gives me no surface noise. Wink

So, there you go, it takes all sorts. Just adds to the theory of 'Mix & Match' or what suits one amp/speaker/room/music/ears combination, might not suit another.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> Linn Kan, Isobarik and others All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: