SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The KM1 repair and restoration project. Help....
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul Marchant
Intermediate Contributor 50+

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:20 pm    Post subject: The KM1 repair and restoration project. Help.... Reply with quote

So, some of you might have spotted a pair of KM1 loudspeakers on Ebay recently. I did, having been after a pair of them since I heard them twenty years ago.

I'd hoped to find a fully working pair, but my luck wasn't quite that good.

Not being one with adequate common sense, I've managed to buy them. I've rented a lock-up to keep them in with Big Yellow Storage to avoid being lynched by the rest of my household.

They've had a hard life. The woodwork is scuffed (but not destroyed).

The dust-caps have been pushed in / knocked off of all four midrange drivers and two of the bass drivers.

There is, apparently, an electronics fault with one of the amp-packs.

I fully intend to get these working. It's going to be somewhere between 'difficult and expensive' and 'very difficult and very expensive'.

The woodwork is, in many ways, trivial. I can have a go at it, or there are plenty of 'furniture repair / refurbishment' companies who could doubtless do a good job.

The electronics fault won't be a problem. I've worked as a repair engineer in the TV industry since I left college twenty five years ago, fixing broadcast gear, both audio and video.

The drivers are what I'm worried about the most. When I contacted KEF about them, the best they could do was encouraging words. I've got a guy who has repaired drivers for me in the past, who is well-regarded but doesn't have any information on them and didn't seem super-optimistic. My research has led me to know that the drivers are unique to the KM1s, and the only hope for parts is scouring the internet for someone who's breaking a pair (I've found two mids, two HFs and two amp-packs so far).

I'm aware that the mids and the HF drivers will need a ferrofluid change - a process fraught with risk in the disassembly of the glued joins between parts.

I only had a few seconds to inspect them upon delivery (had to get back to work). Thus far, the positive comments are:

HF drivers are cosmetically undamaged - the domes are fine.
MF drivers don't have coil-rub, nor are they locked up. The surrounds and cones look OK.
The KM1s as a whole appear to be more-or-less complete.
The woodwork isn't as bad as I was expecting.

The unknowns are the bass drivers (I didn't have time even to pull the grilles and look), and the electronics. I haven't had a chance to check voice-coil resistance on any drivers yet.

This is what I'm starting from: https://imgur.com/a/p0hMzW6

This is where I'm at presently: https://imgur.com/y45Vmi2

The storage place is near my place of work, but that's a long way from home (fifty mile drive each way). I've had to spend this weekend sorting out my car's mechanical woes, so I haven't had a chance to do anything with the KM1's yet. I hope to start in the coming week, but I'm realistic that this is going to be a lengthy project. I'll update here as things go.

I am desperate for in-depth technical information on the drivers.
I believe that 'speakerguru' here was involved in their development. There may be other users as well with knowledge.

Speakerguru - if you have the time and interest in this, I have many, many questions I would like to ask of you. Please let me know if you're willing to help.

My hope is to get these loudspeakers back to 100% health, both functionally and cosmetically. My chances are heavily dependent on the knowledge and help of probably only a handful of people.
Lee in Montreal
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the pictures, they are not as bad as described

The tweeter's dome can be "sucked out"

Carefully cut all domes from the B110 mid drivers and replace them with new one.

If the B300s have no coil rub, then you only need to glue one dome. But don't forget to rotate each woofer by 120°. B300s are notorious for their sagging Butyl surround.

As for the electronics, you have a whole bunch of QUAD 405s in there. They re simple power amps to work on.
Plenty of KEF components for a few fun builds
audiolabtower
VIP Contributor 500+

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard of a B300 having sag because the surround is PVC not butyl. My 105s from 1979 have the drive units as good as new and the sound as good as too. That B300 was one of the best drive units Kef ever made because of the BBC cone design plus Kef's high power coil tech of the time.

The Quad 405s have the advantage of not needing any bias setup, if the four feedforward bridge components are wthin their 5% tolerances the distortion and other specs will be met - all other components can be changed for new without any special setup required.
Lee in Montreal
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

audiolabtower wrote:
I've never heard of a B300 having sag because the surround is PVC not butyl.

I once had two sets of 105/2s. One of the B300s had the sag problem, solved by rotating the driver. I rotated all of them. Once a year.

@ the OP - The T52 tweeters don't have Ferro Fluid, so that's one less job to perform. And you can probably push the dome after removing the face plate. Wink

I suggest each driver to be removed and tested on a tone generator before any work is performed on them.

If you had been local, I would have gladly offered my help. Wink

And 8 QUAD amps here
https://www.ebay.com/itm/154594389076
Paul Marchant

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ the OP - The T52 tweeters don't have Ferro Fluid, so that's one less job to perform. And you can probably push the dome after removing the face plate. Wink

I've read in multiple places (which could all be wrong) that the unique version of the T52 in the KM1 is a ferrofluid tweeter unlike any other T52s.

On a positive note, the T52 domes aren't visibly damaged. It's a mystery whey someone would poke in the mids but not destroy the tweeters but I'm not complaining.
audiolabtower
VIP Contributor 500+

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee in Montreal wrote:
One of the B300s had the sag problem

Ok, you had a problem with one drive unit. Hardly justifies a description of notorious of the first example I've heard of in 45 years. Wink
audiolabtower
VIP Contributor 500+

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The KM1 tweeter did use ferrofluid.
Lee in Montreal
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

audiolabtower wrote:
Lee in Montreal wrote:
One of the B300s had the sag problem

Ok, you had a problem with one drive unit. Hardly justifies a description of notorious of the first example I've heard of in 45 years. Wink

From old threads on this forum as well as from others, this was a very common recommandation. I did it. It worked. Wink
audiolabtower
VIP Contributor 500+

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be a very sensible recommendation but stll does not warrant the original description applied to the B300.
That would be far more appropriate for the Spendor BC1 driver where the heavy bextrene cone and flexible spider did lead to cone sag in most samples after 10 years or so. The result of the BBC research on that cone to achieve that exemplary mid range colouraton performance led to the cone damping layers and spider the required bass performance. There are samples (mine included) that are still going strong after nearly 50 years but all actually do require rotation to maintain performance.
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I don't look at this forum regularly. It has been very quiet lately.

Ask away at any questions re KM1 and I'll try to remember. I was one of the main engineers on the project. As your KM!s are beaten up black ones I would guess they started life in BBC Maida Vale studios 4 and 5. Production ones were Walnut and I think there was also just one light Ash pair made for the BBC Golders Green Theatre. No others AFAIK.

The drivers were stock moving parts apart from the B300 and B110 voice coils which ended up around 5 Ohms in order to maximise the power that could be extracted from a Quad 405 module.

Other variations were:
1. larger magnet and ferrofluid for the T52
2. drilled and tapped B110 backplate for heatsink attachment
3. Stiffer B300 rear suspension to reduce magneto-mechanical rectification on overdrive
Paul Marchant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:48 pm    Post subject: Questions... so many questions... Reply with quote

speakerguru wrote:
Sorry I don't look at this forum regularly. It has been very quiet lately.

Ask away at any questions re KM1 and I'll try to remember.

I'll start by saying I'm very grateful for your assistance, and that it'll likely make all the difference to my chances of success.

OK then, question time...

So, I t-h-i-n-k I know what I need to do, and what I need to know.
But, to quote some american guy, there are 'known unknowns' which I'll ask about now, but also there are 'unknown unknowns' which I may not have thought of or considered. Please point out my shortcomings and unknown unknowns. Additionally, please tell me if any of what I think I need to do is unwise, misguided or just downright silly and wrong.

(1) I need to get the tweeters apart and replace the ferrofluid.

From reading some of your previous posts, I found this one:

https://www.hifiloudspeakers.info/speakertalk/viewtopic.php?t=1695

which perhaps tells me what type of ferrofluid it is (unless the KM1s were different).

Is it simply a case of removing the four screws which hold the black front on, and then the tweeter either pulls apart, or there's an adhesive bond which needs to be broken, cleaned off and replaced? Is the process similar to the well documented T33 ferrofluid replacement?

What quantity of ferrofluid is required?

(2) I need to get the mids apart to replace the ferrofluid.

This strikes fear into my heart. I've been speaking to Paul at Wembley Loudspeaker Co. who's always got me out of trouble in the past. He's never encountered KM1s before and seems a little concerned about whether they'll come apart without damage.

What's the deal with this? Can the rear suspension be removed without damage by means of the correct solvent being applied to it through the spokes of the loudspeaker's basket? Can the front surround be de-bonded from the basket with solvents without damage?

In the event of something going wrong, is there enough information available regarding the mechanical properties of the surround and the rear suspension that I could go to someone like Kurt Muller and get acceptably close replacements? Is there any commonality with other B110 drivers (e.g. the ones in LS3/5a which are still in production via Falcon) which would allow me to get 'organ donor' drivers.

Is it the same ferrofluid as the tweeters? How much is used?

(2a) Did KEF make their own parts (rear suspension, front surround, domes) or where they bought in?

(2b) Do you know of and can recommend anyone who's had these drivers apart before?

(3) I need to replace the centre domes on all the mids and two of the B300s. Is there anything unique about these? Or is it simply a case of finding dimensionally correct domes, again from someone like Kurt Muller or the like?

(4) What adhesives were originally used for the domes? It would be beneficial to know regarding solvents and cleaning off all traces of the old adhesives.

(5) Mine are serial numbers 0151 and 0152. Any idea where they are in the production run? Early ones? Late ones? Anyone's guess? I'd love to know where they originally were - it'd be a great piece of history if they were the Maida Vale ones.

(6) Mine are ported. Some I've seen pictures of were not. What was the norm?

(7) I'm not overly concerned about getting the electronics fixed (it's what I do for a living). I have a copy of the service manual. Is there anything extra to know which would catch me out?

(Cool Please list all of the blindingly obvious things I've overlooked as far as relevant knowledge for the repair / refurbishment of the drivers.

It has become clear to me that although I have a reasonably in-depth knowledge of loudspeaker theory and construction, and have repaired plenty of pairs of big-boy studio monitors at work over the years, I know almost nothing about the inner workings and construction of the drivers themselves in comparison.
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) and 2)KEF at that time only used one type of ferrofluid. It was the same in the T52 and B110
I'm pretty sure the tweeter diaphragm assembly is stuck to the magnet top plate with a thin 3M yellow double sided adhesive tape. 1) and 2)KEF at that time only used one type of ferrofluid. It was the same in the T52 and B110
I'm pretty sure the tweeter diaphragm assembly is stuck to the magnet top plate with a thin 3M yellow double sided adhesive tape. KEF had rolls of die-cut blanks. You'll have to cut your own.

2) have you read the "last resort" sticky?
http://www.hifiloudspeakers.info/speakertalk/viewtopic.php?t=1751

MEK works on the brown bostik like adhesive on the rear suspension. It needs repeated applications - the fumers are bad - best done outdoors or with lots of ventilation. It was a std KM part.

The front surround was vacuum formed, in-house, onto the cone and a card ring. You can't buy it from KM. The card ring is stuck to the painted metal chassis with a water based (pva?) type adhesive. Now long cured, it will not soften with water. However the card ring will delaminate and you can re-stick it with any paper adhesive.
Early LS3/5 B110s had a rubber surround
Ferrofluid quantity for B110: I don't remember!
Don't overfill it will make a mess. Half fill, leaving a gap, put the coil in, see if it wets all round. If not, add a bit more.repeat until the coil wets all round.

Past my bedtime. That's all for now.

Last edited by speakerguru on Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Paul Marchant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's encouraging news about the ferrofluid.

With the T52, are there alignment dowels or the like to ensure the voice coil is centred on reassembly? Or is it a 'feel your way' sort of thing when (re)assembling it?

I hadn't seen the 'last resort' sticky prior to just now. I really like the smell of MEK... that's probably not a good thing. If damage occurs to the rear suspension in the process - was it the same as any other B110's or are they unique to the KM1 drivers?

So it seems possible, in the hands of a skilled person (which isn't me, but hey that's what Wembley Loudspeaker Co. is known for) to non-destructively disassemble the drivers. I presume it's a foregone conclusion that the ferrofluid has at least partially evaporated?

Last edited by Paul Marchant on Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
Lee in Montreal
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speakerguru wrote:
Other variations were:
2. drilled and tapped B110 backplate for heatsink attachment

Are those long tubes at the back of the T52s and B110 heat sinks ? I have spent years wondering what they were... Wink
Paul Marchant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're solid aluminium bars, which bolt to the finned heatsink on the back of the mid / tweeter housing. There's some detail and pictures at the bottom right of this: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WPjG7Fzr7IiDS2G8-2UYdZQYV1et6y_5/view
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: