SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DIY Active Adventures

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KefHeir
Intermediate Contributor 25+

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:38 pm    Post subject: DIY Active Adventures Reply with quote

Dear Kef comrades

I'm in the midst of converting my DIY Kefs to an active configuration. Initial results are mixed to disappointing so I thought I'd share the experience here in case anyone may have some thoughts on where I could go with this experiment.

A bit of back story. I inherited a pair of DIY kef speakers a couple of years ago which sounded remarkably good for their 1980s vintage. I decided to use them as my main speakers so I set about giving the cabinets a makeover, replacing the crossovers, and refreshing all the drivers with a new set from Falcon.

While the upgrades gave clear and obvious improvements, there were a couple of problems: the bass levels were too high and prone to boominess, and something odd was happening in the mid range which seemed to lack detail and generally sounded a bit asphyxiated. I got support from a professional engineer to take some measurements which reassuringly confirmed what my ears were telling me: there was a huge suck out between 100 and 1KHz and a sharp peak in bass at 60Hz, falling off sharply to the left and right. The response curve was basically saw toothing between 60 and 90db up to 1kHz where it then became more level. Suspicion fell on the band pass phasing of the new crossover (not the Falcon one I should probably make clear), so the initial plan was to build new, bespoke crossovers. It was during these discussions I decided to go the whole way and try an active set up.

I asked the same engineer to build an analogue active crossover. For this he said it was important to use balanced connections due to the risk of noise from the AXO, but he hit a problem with my QUAD QSP power amps which use 15 pin d-sub connectors rather than the conventional XLRs. He tried to patch in to the balanced signals in the QUADLINK system but without success so we decided to drop the analogue approach and do the filtering in the digital domain using a miniDSP (4x10). I had my doubts about this, but persuaded myself the benefits of active amplification might outweigh any drawbacks of the miniDSP electronics.

And so it's all built and connected and I had my first listen last week. There were clear pros and one very big con. On the plus side, the much flatter response was self evident. And now a lot more detail is present in the mid range. The bass was also much more under control and flatter. The benefit of the active tri-amping was also clear, with the speakers now able to cope with difficult orchestral and piano music without getting overwhelmed and compressing the details. Despite all these good things there was one major downside: the sonic illusion was broken. Even with the apparent deficiencies of the old passive crossovers the speakers were always hugely listenable, and at times could make musical detail sound exquisitely real. With the DSP that authentic voice or sonic texture or whatever you might call it has all vanished. The sound now has what I would describe as a quite unpleasant, synthetic quality, and everything that was musical and involving about the old sound has gone. (There's also a severe white noise problem which may or may not be a fault with the DSP.)

So, quite disappointing but nevertheless I'm enjoying the experimentation. I've read very positive comments in this forum about DSPs so I'd be very interested to hear anyone's thoughts on this. My immediate question I suppose is whether the quality of the sound could be improved by alternate DSP programming, or is what I'm hearing just the fundamental limitation of the miniDSP electronics, which I assume just don't measure up to the QUAD which I've listened to for a long time?

I hope this hasn't deterred anyone who was thinking of a DSP / active set-up, but on the basis of what I've heard so far it hasn't worked for me. Would be very grateful if anyone has any suggestions or thoughts on further things I could try, otherwise it looks like I'll be reverting to passive, albeit hopefully with better crossovers.
audiolabtower
VIP Contributor 500+

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The miniDSP does have some comments about noise. The consensus seems to be that if using the non balanced output, set it as high as possible and then attenuate before the power amp to reduce the noise while still getting a useful range on the volume control. It is not the last word in digital quality (or analogue op amps inside) but I would have expected a reasonable result, if not really high end. Does Quad not give a pinout on the d-sub? If not they are not the company they once were.
KefHeir

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Audiolabtower, much appreciated.

audiolabtower wrote:
The consensus seems to be that if using the non balanced output, set it as high as possible and then attenuate before the power amp to reduce the noise while still getting a useful range on the volume control.

I think that's how it's currently set up, but I will check with the engineer, thanks. I've since read some forums myself and can see I'm not alone with this noise floor issue on the miniDSP.

audiolabtower wrote:
Does Quad not give a pinout on the d-sub? If not they are not the company they once were.

QUAD did share the pin outs, and also some of the higher level circuit schematics, but it couldn't be made to work. The engineer I'm working with thought there may be some kind of digital control between the QUAD pre- and power amp which was being interrupted by inserting the DSP, but that's where QUAD's support ran out. It's a pity; if this would have worked I could have done the whole thing in the analogue domain.

It's tantalising as it's the first time I've listened to active speakers and the potential is obvious, but as things stand that wouldn't be enough to compensate for the reduced musical realism with the DSP. Wondering if we might give QUAD another go, if not looks like I'll be reverting to passive for the time being.
exkefman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KefHeir wrote:
QUAD did share the pin outs, and also some of the higher level circuit schematics, but it couldn't be made to work. The engineer I'm working with thought there may be some kind of digital control between the QUAD pre- and power amp which was being interrupted by inserting the DSP, but that's where QUAD's support ran out. It's a pity; if this would have worked I could have done the whole thing in the analogue domain.

It's tantalising as it's the first time I've listened to active speakers and the potential is obvious, but as things stand that wouldn't be enough to compensate for the reduced musical realism with the DSP. Wondering if we might give QUAD another go, if not looks like I'll be reverting to passive for the time being.

Hiya

I'm a bit late to this toic, but just an idea:

Can you not use an analogue filter/x-over and use the QUAD tape-monitor "out"?

You can then feed the full frequency output from the QUAD TAPE OUT, into the analogue x-over. It can do it's job to separate the bass/mid/treble content.

Then feed one signal back to the original power amp and the two other signals to the other power amps.

The one proviso is that you'd need a 6-gang volume potentiometer (or 3 separate "2-channel" pots, somehow ganged/linked together), so you can control the overall volume going to all three stereo power amps at the same time.

It might be a bit fiddly, but it could be made to work...

rgds
Tim

(I used to work for KEF from 1988-1995 - you can see my "profile" here: http://www.hifiloudspeakers.info/speakertalk/viewtopic.php?t=1706)
KefHeir

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tim. Sorry for slow reply, I haven't logged in for a while.

Unless I'm not following, what you describe sounds like a conventional (analogue) active configuration but using tape out rather than the standard line outputs. What would be the advantage of that?

(Not sure if this is going too off topic for the Kef forum, but the moderator can advise Wink

Darren
exkefman

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KefHeir wrote:
Thanks Tim. Sorry for slow reply, I haven't logged in for a while.

Unless I'm not following, what you describe sounds like a conventional (analogue) active configuration but using tape out rather than the standard line outputs. What would be the advantage of that?

(Not sure if this is going too off topic for the Kef forum, but the moderator can advise Wink

Darren

Hi Darren

Yes, it would be like an analogue active config.

I just thought that it might be a simpler method of connecting, rather than using the QUADLINK system with all it's inherent issues.

And yes, you could just use the "standard" pre-amp outputs...if they are available to you, which would be slightly better (than using the tape IN/OUT circuit) as you would be able to use the pre-amp volume control Wink.

regards
Tim

(I used to work for KEF from 1988-1995 - you can see my "profile" here: http://www.hifiloudspeakers.info/speakertalk/viewtopic.php?t=1706)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: