SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Low volume listening

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KefHeir
Intermediate Contributor 25+

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:52 am    Post subject: Low volume listening Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone here had any insights or experience of how to get the best performance from Kef speakers at low volume? I have a pair of homemade Kef 3 ways based on the Concerto design (which you can just about see in my profile picture). I've just replaced all the drivers with new ones from Falcon Acoustics. At medium to high volumes they sound fantastic but unfortunately I have to do a lot of listening at low volume and I find below a certain level there seems to be quite a steep drop off in the mid range relative to the higher frequencies. I presume this is largely to do with mechanical resistance being relatively more significant at lower volume levels, and I know there is science on human hearing being less sensitive at low volumes, so I'm just wondering if there's anything which can make an incremental improvement?

I know that the Kef drivers are not that sensitive, so will a power amp with more grunt help things (more is better seems to be the general rule with amplification)? Elsewhere I recall reading that it's amplifier topology and 'the first watt' which is more important than power as such.

I'm currently running a passive pre-amp with a NAIM NAP 100 (50w). I'm pretty certain the NAIM is under-powered for these speakers so I need something with more oomph, but would appreciate any insights on this low volume question.

(I searched the forum for a related thread but couldn't see anything, but if you know of one I'd be grateful for a signpost.)

Thanks, and hope everyone is finding ways to survive the pandemic
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not what you want to hear, but you'd be better off using headphones.
audiolabtower
VIP Contributor 500+

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amplifiers used to have a loudness control for this very reason. Unfortunately they worked the other way round, boosting bass and treble since human hearing subjectively will hear the mid range more at low volumes. If you could borrow another amp it might be worthwhile since some old Naim amps had a resistor in the output which may interact with the speaker impedance at low output, but I am a little doubtful for a large effect. Guru's idea is the best, or an inexpensive small bookshelf speaker at and near ear level just for low level listening.
KefHeir

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:06 pm    Post subject: Low volume listening Reply with quote

Thanks @speakerguru and @Audiolabtower for the thoughts on this. Couple of things to try even if only marginal gains
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I exclusively use a pair of Model 101s and a pair of Chartwell LS3/5As for low level mixing and monitoring atm. I'm at about a distance of 0.5m away. No complaints from my wife or neighbours so far . Laughing Laughing Laughing
KefHeir

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:15 pm    Post subject: Low volume listening Reply with quote

@Speakerguru - either of those would be more appropriate for my small space I daresay, but I've inherited these big 3 way units so trying to make them work. The new drivers are all kinds of better but just have this impression there's something odd going on with the dynamic range which stretches from slightly too loud to the hard to hear on some concerto and piano music, which is largely what I listen to.

I wondered if anyone knows a really good / useful acoustic test CD I could try?
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Low volume listening Reply with quote

KefHeir wrote:
... there's something odd going on with the dynamic range which stretches from slightly too loud to the hard to hear ...

This can be indicative of exposure related hearing loss. Just speculating; I don't know your age or past occupations. However, close proximity to high level impulses, like gunfire, drums, brass wind instruments or P.A. loudspeaker arrays, without ear protection, can cause immediate and irreversible hearing damage.
KefHeir

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:24 pm    Post subject: Low volume listening Reply with quote

@speakerguru - I think the ears are OK, or at least I hope so - I've led a fairly quiet life in both senses Very Happy Might just be a period of adjustment is needed to acclimatise to the new drivers. The others were 40 years old so it's a dramatic change

I did wonder though, does anyone offer speaker testing as a service outside of the professional industry? It would be good to get a more objective sense of the performance now I've embarked on this improvement journey.

On another topic, along with the speakers themselves I also inherited some paperwork including Kef enclosure designs & blueprints; a short pamphlet by someone called Siegfried Linkwitz who appears to have had some association with Kef (?); etc. Are those of interest on this forum?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: