SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

B100B dust cap replacement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CS9
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:19 pm    Post subject: B100B dust cap replacement Reply with quote

One of the B100B in my CS9 has a pushed-in dust cap. I haven't been able to pry it out or suck it out. I even tried hooking it with a sharp needle. No luck. It seems to be seriously deformed.

To my untrained eye, the dust caps look like treated cloth that is non-porous.

What is the best thing to use for a replacement dustcap? I see someone in China selling 35mm paper dust caps on ebay. Is there a better choice?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/223026380455

Can you share any advice on removing the cap and old glue or what to use as new glue?

Thank you for your help and advice.
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean B110? The dustcap is coated and stuck on with a white PVA adhesive. You can stick the end of a wooden toothpick into each dent with a tiny amount of PVA, leave it overnight, then carefully pull out the dents. Finally, very carefully, cut through the adhesive between the end of the toothpick and dustcap with a scalpel.
CS9
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, sorry, my error: the driver is a B110B.

I finally found time to try this repair. I used white household glue which is a low-grade PVA. I broke a toothpick in half and attached each end to a different point on the dent with a bit of glue. The next day, I pulled up on the toothpicks while holding the cone in place with my other hands. Unfortunately, the toothpicks popped off cleanly without raising the dent.

Perhaps because the dustcap has been deformed for so long, it will be harder to repair. Here's a photo of the dented dust cap:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/190568451@N07/50523424438/in/dateposted-public/

speakerguru: Do you suggest I try again with more or stronger glue? Any other suggestions?

Thank you.
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 Try again with a stronger adhesive. Try to get a better fit between the cut on the toothpick and the angle of the dent.
2 use a dental pick, tiny crochet hook or bent thin steel wire to go through the dust cap and pull out the worst dent. Repeat the toothpick trick on the remaining smaller dents.
3 source a new dustcap, cut out the old with some fine scalpel work and replace.

Don't attempt any of the above unless you are in the right frame of mind and won't get interupted.
Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: