SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kef 104/2 with a sub woofer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rigley
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:41 am    Post subject: Kef 104/2 with a sub woofer Reply with quote

Hi,
Just wondering if any of you have any experience setting up a Rel Strata 1 sub with some 104/2's? I have a Yamaha RX-3800 AV Amp which has a LFE output, though the sub being a bit older has no LFE input . I know I can wire the speakers through the Rel or should I connect the pre amp outputs from the amp directly to the phono inputs on the sub for best results? I am looking for best music sound, home theater is secondary.
Also I would like to know the best way to balance the sub to the speakers. Any help would be much appreciated.
Cheers.

Last edited by Rigley on Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Rigley
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone had any experience whatsoever setting up a subwoofer to some 104/2's?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.
SaSi
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a pair of 104/2 but do have a functional pair of 107. Similar bandpass design.

Although it's not the same speaker design, the bandpass low frequency section is able to give a real hard punch and withstand even low frequency effects.

The 104/2 were designed (and the KUBE enhanced) a low frequency elevated response, somewhat a departure from the aim of flat response, smooth rolloff of the previous designs.

For that reason, I am guessing your 104/2s should perform at least decently full range without a need for the sub - provided you have the KUBE.

If you need more punch, you would have to find a very decent subwoofer. The ones promising to fix the low end for 15lt bookshelf speakers won't do any good.
Rigley
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi SaSi,

Thanks for your response, are you saying I would be better off getting a Kube to go with my 104/2's than using my REL Sub?

From what I have read on forums, people say that the Kube can affect clarity of the sound? As I have the Sub already, I was wondering if I could work and integrate it into the rest of my system successfully?

Thanks
SaSi
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously, if you have the sub, use it.

Regarding using the KUBE or not, there are those who find the op amps in most KUBEs offending and swap them for better ones or prefer to listen without the equalizer.

I would say it's all a matter of personal taste. Haven't heard the 104/2 ever so I can't offer an opinion.

But with the 107, without any equalization they sound fine. Before I got the 107 KUBE I approximated the equalization as best I could using a Technics 9010 parametric equalizer - bottom two bands. That made it sound great. The drivers could easily take the bass boost down to the 20-30Hz range without getting into clipping.

With the KUBE they sound perfect, robust and - funny - more clear. I am guessing that as I was approximating the equalization with the parametric, I was obviously off and a bit on the boomy side. Like a unit with a high Q can sound a bit rich in bass but muddy.
Rigley
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be time to track down a Kube to match my 104/2's and have a play!

Thanks for your help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: