SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kef 103.2 restoration

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Djtaylor60
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:24 am    Post subject: Kef 103.2 restoration Reply with quote

Hi.
I am restoring a pair of 103.2s, which were originally made in New Zealand by AWA under licence. When I got them one bass driver was not working, and the cabinets had been oversanded in places, removing the veneer on the top.
The driver problem was the well known issue of the leaky protection capacitors had destroyed a track. Cabinets are away being sorted, with new veneer on the tops. Crossovers repaired and recapped with ALCAPS from Falcon. New grommets sourced for the B200 drivers.

My question is whether anyone has guidance on getting the right torque settings when replacing the B200 drivers. I read that they need to be decoupled from the cabinet, and they used to have a large label warning not to over-tighten. Any help welcome.
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, no. I used to know it, in fact I probably set the production spec., but it's been a long time and I don't remember.

Tighten them down, by hand, slowly. Test that you can still feel movement when you push down on the woofer chassis edges. Test that there is no leakage by listening for "chuffing" noises. You can do this by using a 20Hz signal, large enough that you can see the woofer moving, and a listening tube. The tube should be about 6mm in dia; stick one end in one ear and probe around any joints with the other end.
Djtaylor60
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is great information. Many thanks.

I was able to get new rubber grommets from the US to replace the perished ones, and save the brass inserts.

I have recreated the warning labels which were on the rear of the speaker. If anyone wants them in word or pdf please PM me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: