SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

more Cadenza crossover rebuild recommendations

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndyW
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:46 pm    Post subject: more Cadenza crossover rebuild recommendations Reply with quote

Hi there, I am new to this forum but have been lurking for a little while.

I need some good advice regarding replacement inductors in the Kef Cadenza SP1019/DN14 crossover network as I would like to build new crossovers from scratch.

The confusion centres around air cored v iron cored. Is it possible or even worthwhile to replace the existing iron cored with air cored of the same value?

I would appreciate some expert advice.

Many thanks

AndyW
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: more Cadenza crossover rebuild recommendations Reply with quote

There is more to it than that.. As long as the DC resistance is identical that is a start. There is a plethora of information on this site.
Have a peek here to begin with: http://www.hifiloudspeakers.info/speakertalk/viewtopic.php?t=1632
AndyW
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Proffski that is good information.

Unfortunately the crossovers are not accessible at the moment. Is there anybody that contributes on this forum that knows the DCR of each of the three ferrite cored inductors?

Would a variance of DCR result in a changed crossover point as well as an increased insertion loss? (if I were to opt for "reasonably priced"" air core inductors).

I appreciate that my questions are from a novices perspective, but I find this subject utterly fascinating.

Many thanks..
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Proffski for pointing to the sticky.
Yes, changing the resistance of an inductor will change every aspect of the filter; frequency, corner shape and pass band loss. By how much? Only a simulation would predict the degree and that would require a model of the drive unit impedance to use as a load.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: