SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LNB Para-Lab Super

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndyS
Intermediate Contributor 25+

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:16 pm    Post subject: LNB Para-Lab Super Reply with quote

I have recently, yesterday, become the owner of a pair of LNB Para-Lab Supers. Not very much pennies and initial listening is favourable.

I must admit I was a little worried about how authentic they are and I may well be proven to be a tad foolish.

They are fitted with Goodmans 6 1/2" bass units and all the comments I had seen on the interweb talk about Elac. However getting out my pile of trusty HFN&RRs they appear to be first mentioned at the end of 1971 with the first ads in 1972.

The speakers, intermally appear to be in very good condition with the foam sheet, holding the wool in, being intact. The bass units looke like they have sagged a little so I may rewire them and rotate 180 degrees. I am not sure thether the T27s were originally the other way up as shown below, and one of the baffles appears to be pre drilled for that option.

This final, at the moment, picture is a Super with Elac bass and the T27 appears to be connected out of phase, I wonder whether mine should be the same?

Whilst there is wool behind the foam sheet there appears to be none on the rest of the labarynth, I have added some to the end for now.

Any info on there or comments most welcome.

Last edited by AndyS on Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
audiolabtower
VIP Contributor 500+

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cabinet shape looks correct. Designed for shelf mounting, 597x228x260 mm, screw terminals, T27, Elec 165 mm bass, cost £80 in 1976 Needed a 17dB range to fit 80Hz to 20kHz with big peaks and troughs, and the bass had a lot of 2nd and 3rd harmonic distortion in the first hi-fi choice.
AndyS
Intermediate Contributor 25+

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the crossover for the speakers.

All Caps are 4uF
The Inductor nfor the Bass/Mid reads about 1.3 mH and the tweeter about 0.35 mH.

[/URL]

[/URL][/img]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> Other speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: