SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sinatra Sings for Only the Lonely, his best album!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> Music for Lovers of Vintage KEF Speakers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
willem-57
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 8:15 am    Post subject: Sinatra Sings for Only the Lonely, his best album! Reply with quote

Many years ago, about 1985 or so, i bought a sale album (vinyl) of Sinatra, only the lonely. It's his best album he have made in his entire carrier! When he recorded it in 1958 he was just divorced from Ava Gardner, the love of his live and also Nelson Riddle had private problems and together they made an almost perfect album. The songs are not as the later 60's songs as new york etc., but real sad love stories. The arrangements of mr. Riddle are almost perfect and Frank is on his best. In my collection i have about 40+ albums of Sinatra, this one is in my eyes his very best!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdZL-NoHXQ8
Gary
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sinatra and Riddle, two of the best!

Riddle also did three albums with Linda Ronstadt that I love.

Ashamed to say that I have no Sinatra in my collection. I must work on that problem.
iso
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I remember I have not heard Only The Lonely album, but my favorite Sinatra album so far has been "Francis Albert Sinatra & Antonio Carlos Jobim" from 1967. Mid 60´s bossa nova ingredients are perfect for Sinatra.

I actually do have 2 differenCD transfers of this album. 20 bit remastered Reprise edition bought about 10 years ago. New "Sinatra Jobim The Complete Reprise Recordings" includes second Sinatra Album that was issued in 1969, but as soon as Sinatra did get copy of 8-track copy of album (these were first ones to arrive to Reprise dealers) he called to Warner and asked to discontinue album. Only few 8-track copies were sold. Some bits and pieces have surfaced since, but now all these recordings are available.

It is clear that decision Sinatra made was correct. Songs from this second Sinatra & Jobim session were quite bad compared to original 1967 album, even there should have been no economical or artistic limitations for Sinatra.

But anyway 1967 Sinatra & Jobim album is very nice one.

Best Regards

Kimmo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> Music for Lovers of Vintage KEF Speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: