SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I'm so proud of them.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TL 200
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:15 pm    Post subject: I'm so proud of them. Reply with quote

I always knew i had bought some great speakers, Cambridge Audio TL200, a later version of the R50's.
I am also a member of a dutch forum (High-End forum) and members tend to visit each other for a listening-session. lately two members came to my place to hear those vintage transmissionlines sing.
Both of them are used to high-end equipment which is relatively new.
I may say they were pretty much amazed about the performance of my set.
A 23 year old Cyrus two with PSX (power supply) and 38 year old speakers.
The reproduction of lower tones really blew them away, as did the soundstage and authority.
They can sound as huge as they are but at lower volume they still let you hear everything even the lower regions.
In 1976 Van den Hull tested a pair and concluded they were the best possible with current technology at that time.
He measured 38 Hz at 0 dB... 20Hz at -8dB. Next week two more members are visiting me.

Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche,
The Twilight of the Idols, 1889
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A classic loudspeaker indeed! It also looks in remarkably excellent condition regarding the age of these transducers. Magnificent!!! Smile
willem-57
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful speaker Exclamation
iso
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:43 am    Post subject: Nice TL200 Reply with quote

TL 200 wrote:
Both of them are used to high-end equipment which is relatively new. I may say they were pretty much amazed about the performance of my set.

When Peter Walker said that every good amplifier will sound the same, he was right. Good transformer and circuity do produce very little hum or other sound of their own. When amplifier is connected to source, pre amplifier, AC-outlet and loudspeakers you will be able to hear something and now things will get more complicated.

During last few years I have found out that that amplifiers seems to degrade sound quality more than speakers. Coloration that less than perfect speaker usually produce is far more acceptable than coloration of less than perfect amplifier. There has always been good and bad designs, even today it might be easier to make good design. So... old design can also be good design.

Anyway, nice speakers.

Best Regards

Kimmo

PS Last week I bought pair of 1967 vintage Altec 604E´s... I hope that horn coloration can be tweaked off with crossover eq.
TL 200
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys,
they are really in good condition, i am the second owner and they were all checked up and revised where necessary before i bought them.

Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche,
The Twilight of the Idols, 1889
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> Other speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: