SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KEF speakers guidance

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ED
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:09 am    Post subject: KEF speakers guidance Reply with quote

Hello,
I'm new to this forum, glad I've been admited and a new KEF addict since recently I was lucky enough to get a pair of Carinas II. As far as I've seen they don't get much love around here but I dig the looks and think they sound very good! Anybody thinks the same?

In any case they are the only KEFs I've listened to, so my opinion may not be too informed, and I haven't auditioned many speakers at all (apart from some modern Wharfedale, Monitor Audio and Jamo sets). The thing is I see I'll be trying to get more vintage Kefs in the near future... and although I feel lost with so many models so far these got my attention: Calinda, C80, 104ab. I mainly listen to alternative, indie, noiserock, postrock (progressive, krautrock and modern incarnations) some 70s & 80s pop, rock, synthpop, modern pop/folk, etc. and at times I like to push speakers into loud volumes, so I think big boxes would be better, but not huge! as most likely I'll have to import them from the UK and shipping may be problematic. I wish I was there to listen them in person! I wonder if somebody can give hints about which of these models (or any other model) could be better suited in my case. Thanks
Gary
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, welcome!

I have a pair of Calinda's and love 'em! They sound just fine at loud volumes to me but, like any vintage speaker, I try to take care of mine. I don't want to blow the tweeter, the are hard to replace!

Good luck with your hunt!
ED
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Gary,
Glad to hear that. I have to be patient. I'm very happy with the Carinas and I intend to keep them, so maybe I should stop thinking about others... but they're so beautiful Wink
Gary
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These days, with vintage KEF speakers so rare, one should buy whatever they find!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: