SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IMF ALS 40 II project - need some help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
canuckaudioguy
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: IMF ALS 40 II project - need some help Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I'm hoping someone here has some insight on these.

All right, so basically I managed to secure a set of IMF ALS 40 II cabinets for free. I also bought a pair of Kef B200 SP1014s. There are no crossovers in the cabinets unfortunately, and some foam is missing.

I'm pretty well versed in IMF speakers, but the ALS series is the one lineup I am not.

Anyhow, what I plan to do is to use Kef B200 SP1014s for all 4 bass drivers since they fit easily without any modification to the front baffle, and I have spare midrange drivers for this model (Elac 4EM/101 or 4/200) and the right tweeters (the rectangular Audax). I have also secured from eBay a set of IMF ALS 40 Mk2/II crossovers - they are actually a mismatched pair, one came from the later iteration of the IMF ALS 40 II, I believe called the IMF ALS 40 IIa, and the other one just the regular IMF ALS 40 II.

Here are my questions:

1 - Does anyone have a schematic of the IMF Super Compact II crossovers and also the IMF Super Compact? I have a set of spare IMF SC II crossovers and want to see if these parts can be used to make an identical pair of crossovers.

2 - Does anyone have any clue as to what type of foam IMF used in these cabinets? I would like to secure some and refoam the inside as much as needed. Some is missing, not all, and one has all of its foam so it's not a huge task to figure out the size of the foam and where it goes, but I need to know what type they used.

3 - Does anyone see any problems with using Kef B200 SP1014s for both the upper bass and lower bass driver? In this model IMF used I believe an Elac 8" driver for the upper bas driver that had a cream colored inverted foam surround. In later models they used an Elac 8/22, 8/28, etc. but never the Kef B200 SP1014 for the upper driver. I don't have a good understanding of how the active transmission line works - what I do know is the Fs is similar between the two drivers, and having identical drivers would mean this at least is kept intact.

That is all.. if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated! I'd like to turn these empty cabinets back into the great speakers they are.
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: IMF ALS 40 II project - need some help Reply with quote

As far as I know IMF did not stick to the same drivers for all the runs of their loudspeakers. They certainly changed units on some of the loudspeakers I have seen and owned.

This link may help somewhat: http://www.imf-electronics.com/Home/imf/speaker-range/reference-speakers/professional-monitor/professional-monitoe-on-test-review

There is a lot more on the internet if you look.
For foam go to Falcon Acoustics or Wilmslow Audio.
canuckaudioguy
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: IMF ALS 40 II project - need some help Reply with quote

proffski wrote:
As far as I know IMF did not stick to the same drivers for all the runs of their loudspeakers. They certainly changed units on some of the loudspeakers I have seen and owned.

This link may help somewhat: http://www.imf-electronics.com/Home/imf/speaker-range/reference-speakers/professional-monitor/professional-monitoe-on-test-review

Thanks for the response. I've seen that link, but as for finding information on the SC/SC II crossovers I've come up with nothing.

Thanks for the tip on the foam, I'll have to check that out.
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: IMF ALS 40 II project - need some help Reply with quote

canuckaudioguy wrote:
proffski wrote:

Thanks for the response. I've seen that link, but as for finding information on the SC/SC II crossovers I've come up with nothing.

Thanks for the tip on the foam, I'll have to check that out.

Ok, I'll see if I can help. Do not hold your breath though. Smile
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: IMF ALS 40 II project - need some help Reply with quote

It has been some time since I have worked on the IMF ALS 40 MKII.
Here is a picture of the crossover, I have not found the schematic as yet.
Feel free to browse! Clicking on the picture will in most cases reveal a short description...

Link: http://tinyurl.com/lcdeouz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> Other speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: