SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

B110 UPGRADE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> Linn Kan, Isobarik and others
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richie
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: B110 UPGRADE Reply with quote

Can the B110 really be upgraded ?

This is said ......"But mostly this is because of the poor quality of the Kef B110 Mid range driver. I can hear owners of that other little speaker with big reputation; the LS3 5A - gasping with horror. I apologise, but it is a fact that the B110 is not the best mid driver in the world ( certainly not anymore it’s not, and not 40 years ago either ! ) and when upgraded in the Isobarik enclosure, huge improvements can made over the standard Kef B110.

Seen here

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Linn-Isobarik-DMS-PMS-Speaker-Restoration-and-Upgrade-/290668600210?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item43ad32db92#ht_4218wt_1059[url]
audiolabtower
VIP Contributor 500+

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well naturally ebay blurb is the most reliable and objective proven data in the world Very Happy Laughing
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEF speakers and drive units used in other marques of a certain age have a “house sound” which fitted into a section of the market.

If you have ears of a certain age with a vinyl, cassette, tape and AAD CD collection also of that age they’ll suit you down to the ground.

Other “house sounds” of merit of a certain age include B&W, Celestion, Quad and Goodmans.

Now if you want an improved B110 you use a SP1057 which still has some of the faults of the SP1003. I’m not going to extoll the merits of the SP1228 and SP1209 as they were for specific designs.

To improve on a B110 you probably need a Kevlar driver from B&W or a fat dome from ATC and the design facilities to integrate it into your existing design; however the shortcomings of your other drivers will soon be shown.

So replace your speakers not individual drive units.
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> Linn Kan, Isobarik and others All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: