SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hello From Pigs
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> Linn Kan, Isobarik and others
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Pig
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:48 am    Post subject: Hello From Pigs Reply with quote

Hello.

I'm just introducing my little fat self as I found this forum recently and thought it might prove interesting. I've been unto Hi-Fi for over twenty-five years and it just so happens that almost all of that time I have been using Kef drive units!

I've had three pairs of Linn kans, a pair of Saras and now have Isobariks. I also have Kef Coda9's and a Kef Reference 90 centre speaker In the TV system. There have been other Kef-driven speakers that have passed through as well, I guess I must like something about the sound of Kef drive units ;0)

I used various Naim amps for many years but now use old Meridian amps. Front ends are a Micromega CD player and Linn LP12. I also have quite a lot of Mana Hi-Fi supports.

So, what shall we talk about? :0)
TL 200
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...hello mr.Pig.
Welcome at this forum filled with Kef addicts.
Nice to read that you like the sound of Kef for such a long time, so do i, about thirty years now. I started with a pair of homebuild Baily's transmissionlines with B200 woofers and Audax tweeters. Used them for years but last ten or so years i'm enjoying my TL 200's powered by Cyrus two + PSX. A very musical combination with rythm and pace and a great stage.
Well lets just talk about music,
one of the most beautifull things in life isn't it?
I just don't undersdtand your choice of nickname, it's not very self-flattering......... Confused
Mr Pig
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a very old nickname, I've used it on every forum I've ever been on.

In terms of music, I like everything. Well, except rap. That's just rubbish. Lift the best line or hook from a known hit, stick on a generic synth beat and talk over the result!

But I like everything else. I'm of the opinion that there is good music and not so good music, that's it. There are no specific types of music that are better than others.

The first Kef-driven speakers I owned were MkI Kans. Fantastic things if very love and hate. Amazing at times but at other times you could have happily chucked them out of the window! That was about twenty-four years ago.

Can't see me parting with the Isobariks any time soon. They're not perfect, I don't think any speaker is, but they are great. Takes a lot of work to get them right but they're worth it.

My son has a Cyrus One actually. He's got one of my LP12s and a Firestone DAC feeding music from his computer. He picked up a pair of Heybrook HB1 speakers yesterday which have total foam rot on the surrounds! I've ordered new surrounds so that's next weekend booked up ;0)
Innercity126
Intermediate Contributor 25+

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mr. Pig,

Welcome to the forum. I'm pretty new myself, having only recently joined.

I currently have a pair of Reference 105 mk1’s that I am completely going through and restoring. The previous owner thought he knew more than the Kef engineers and modded the crossovers into something unrecognizable. I am simply going to put them back to spec, but use the Falcon Acoustic Alcaps.

I've been at this hobby for well on thirty years or more now, and I find it gets even more interesting with time. Like this weekend... I decided to purchase a turntable again, after not having one for almost 20 years. I really miss listening to vinyl, so I just went and did it. It's all about the music, right?

I've been a big fan of Kef over the years, as well, having had numerous pairs, to include Q60's, C55's, 102's, Coda 7's, Reference 104ab's (my personal favorites), and my current Ref 105's.

I also have a pair of Infinity Kappa 9's, and a pair of Acoustic Research AR-11's, so I've plenty to keep me satisfied for a while.

Good to have you aboard. I look forward to more of your posts. Cheers!

William
Mr Pig
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. The forum seems rather dead though, which is a shame as it's an all right idea. But who knows, maybe it's about to go bananas! :0)
Innercity126

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, things are a bit slow around here, for sure. We just need to liven it up a bit.

Although I do not have any Linn at the moment, I am also a big fan of them, as well. Had a Majik i driving a pair of Kan II's, for some time, and thoroughly enjoyed my time with them.

Your Isobarik's have always intrigued me, too. However, when I was first introduced to them the price was way out of my reach. I would love to have a pair now, but finding them is like searching for a needle in a haystack, at least here in the USA, where most people don't even know they exist.

Love Cyrus and Naim, too, especially the One, which is such a sweet little amp. Now I am searching for some Quad gear, as it seems to have a following with the KEF's. I just need to get my hands on a clean 606, but would happily settle for a nice 405 mkII.

Good luck on your Heybrook project, I hope everything turns out okay.

William
Richie
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys, its amazing how the Kef 104 ab's almost have a cult status/ following..... especially the white one Wink
Great speakers though
Mr Pig
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Innercity126 wrote:
Your Isobarik's have always intrigued me, too.

They are monsters. They have very real limitations and down sides but they create a very solid, believable sound. I'd liken the sound to a really great PA system!

Quote:
Good luck on your Heybrook project, I hope everything turns out okay.

It did thanks :0) That's the first time I've fitted new surrounds to speakers. I'd read lots of comments that it is easy to do but it was a pain! I'm pretty good at fiddly tech stuff, very good actually, but getting those surrounds on correctly was not easy. Sorted now though and sounding good. HB1s are great little speakers.

Quote:
its amazing how the Kef 104 ab's almost have a cult status/ following.....

Yes yes maybe it is but this is the Linn section so go away! ;0) Only kidding. I'm grateful to Kef for building such nice drive units. Pity it took Linn and the BBC to figure out what to do with them ;0)
Innercity126

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damnit Richie and Mr. Pig! You are both going to cost me a lot of money and agro... now I need to find a pair of Isobarik's and, definitely, a white pair of 104ab's; which, I must admit, I have never seen or heard of till now.
Richie
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey 126, it seems the 104's were available in different colours to special order.

Mr Pig, maybe I should highlight what I'm responding to so as to make it easier for you to follow Smile
Innercity126 wrote:
Reference 104ab's (my personal favorites)

Mr Pig
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Innercity126 wrote:
now I need to find a pair of Isobarik's and, definitely, a white pair of 104ab's.

He only said "almost" ;0)

White speakers look stupid, unless you live in the sixties

Quote:
Mr Pig, maybe I should highlight what I'm responding to so as to make it easier for you to follow

Yes, but you've got a whole entire nuther area to talk about all those mickey mouse Kef speaker! ;0) This bit's for the good ones.
Innercity126

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
White speakers look stupid, unless you live in the sixties

Yeah baby, yeah!
Richie
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I judge speakers by the sound, not the looks, never the less, white speakers look great to me and more importantly, the wife.
Wiesiek Lipowski

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Pig wrote:
Thank you. The forum seems rather dead though, which is a shame as it's an all right idea. But who knows, maybe it's about to go bananas! :0)

Do you still think the forum seems rather dead?
Mr Pig
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wiesiek Lipowski wrote:
Do you still think the forum seems rather dead?

One swallow does not a summer make.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> Linn Kan, Isobarik and others All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: