SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The thread of recommended CLASSICAL music!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> Music for Lovers of Vintage KEF Speakers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gary
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:38 am    Post subject: The thread of recommended CLASSICAL music! Reply with quote

I've always like Handel, Hayden, Beethoven, Vivaldi, and most of the classics. More modern stuff - not so much.

I really love Baroque, too!!

I'll always remember discovering about Count Unico Wilhelm van Wassenaer III (1692-1766) and learning that he rarely (if ever) signed his work as he thought it was beneath him to compose music! Laughing

Can anyone recommend any classical music that they are fond of? Preferably something that was well recorded and (hopefully) easily available?

Merci!
Gary
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Music for the Royal Fireworks - George Friedrich Handel.

Try the CD (or LP if you can find it) of George Szell's version. It's pretty radical (shorter) if you've heard other interpretations but I love this version!!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001DZMI8I/ref=asc_df_B001DZMI8I825902?tag=stylefeeder-20&creative=380337&creativeASIN=B001DZMI8I&linkCode=asn

Water Music is - of course - also included. Smile
Gary
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:11 pm    Post subject: Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab Reply with quote

MFSL did a series of silver CDs (not gold discs) in their early days of existence. Their catalogue number starts with MFCD. As an example MFCD 882 is Peter Tchaikovsky - Symphony No. 5 in E minor. Performed by the USSR Symphony Orchestra.

Quite a good recording and excellent music!

MFSL silver discs are reputed to be straight copies from the master tapes. If you ever see one and like the composer, I recommend that you pick it up. Smile
T.O. Chef
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're in T.O. aren't you Gary?
There's a funky (albeit a bit moldy) used record shop on Queen East near Leslie. He's been there since 1982.
Discovery Records.
He has a great collection of classical vinyl and his prices are very reasonable. I paid $15 each for 4 boxed sets of 2 LP's arranged by the Franklin Mint Record Society. The collection is labeled "The Hundred Greatest Recordings of all Time".
The first set I grabbed is:
-Berlioz / Beecham ... Royal Hunt & Storm, (Royal Philharmonic).
-Mussorgsky / Stokowski ... Night on Bald Mountain (London Symphony Orchestra).
- Borodin / Solti ... From Price Igor,Overture & Polovtsian Dances (Berlin Philharmonic.
And that's just record #1 of that set.
Altogether Many Many Hours of fantastic performances on vinyl that I swear has never even seen a stylus.
He has lots to choose from, some more expensive than others like the $50 boxed 4 LP set of Handel Messiah on RCA Victor. But where can you find a CD set for that price? And, not all CD's are created equal as we've all discovered. For me, it was a great find! And you can listen a while before buying too.
Gary
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, close to Toronto!

Yes, I've been there! Great store! There's another store further along Queen Street but I forgot what it's called.

Have you ever been to Vortex? Bert is a great guy!

Heh - we should start a "recommended record store" thread!
T.O. Chef
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I'd had the foresight to keep what I had and continue to collect LP's, not getting caught up (sucked in to?) in the digital music phenomenon.
If we opened a shop Gary, I'm sure between us we could outfit more than a few rooms into fantastic listening environments!
All KEF of course!

I have trouble passing such shops when I find them, and used records are the first thing I'm drawn to when I find myself in flea markets and garage sales.
The classics are plentiful and often well looked after having seen a lot fewer parties than the popular stuff.
Gary
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opening a store would be a big problem for us - the records we'd sell would be crap as we'd keep the good ones!!! Wink

But I like your idea/concept!

All Kef? Naw... one room will be something else just so folks have a good comparison!

There are a few places out there that have this. Alternative Audio/Diamond Groove in Dundas has a combination of LPs, a few CDs and stereo equipment!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> Music for Lovers of Vintage KEF Speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: