SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New member, ex KEF engineer. Hey, who's out there?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dsmith
Junior Contributor 20+

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:05 am    Post subject: New member, ex KEF engineer. Hey, who's out there? Reply with quote

Hi all, Just stumbled across this site a few days ago and noticed that there are some ex KEF personel here.

My name is David Smith and I was an engineer at Maidstone from about 1982 to 1987, then moved back to the US and worked for the distributor in the Washington DC area.

My main projects were the pro models with the KM1 (with Rick Cicconi) the P60 and the redesign of the LS3/5a. I'd be happy to recount anything not yet wiped from the gray matter.

So who's out there? Speakerguru, did our years overlap? When I was there it was Mike Gough, Rick Cicconi, Andrew Jones, Phil Knight, Laurie and later Dick Small. Barbara Keene was our secretary. John Weller was lead draftsman (draughtsman?) John Miller in production?...running out of names.

Anyhow, love to hear from you all.

David
Gary
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's just us chickens here tonight. Embarassed
Gary
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy

Ok, seriously, there really are a lot of great people here! Then there are folks like me who are just casual members.... but at least I have an interest in Kef and own some Kef speakers.

Welcome!
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: New member, ex KEF engineer. Hey, who's out there? Reply with quote

Welcome to the asylum Dave, and now abandon all hope... Very Happy
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Mike Gough, Rick Cicconi, Andrew Jones, Phil Knight, Laurie and later Dick Small.

He's in there somewhere Very Happy , so you have a PM.

A clue though; Speakerguru - "the KM1 took up most of my working life during the 80's."

Paraphrased from one of his posts, I couldn't find the one where he gives his dates of service. Embarassed

I'm the chap "who knows a bit" my pals (from various Hi-fi shows) being John Bowers and Laurie Fincham, as I knew all about laser speckle interferometry used by Leak/Wharfedale and was working for Courtaulds when they came up with Carbon Fibre and Kevlar.
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
dsmith
Junior Contributor 20+

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A clue though; Speakerguru - "the KM1 took up most of my working life during the 80's."

Thats a lot of engineering time for a model that we sold, I think, about 50 units of.

Still we learned a lot that was applied to later models. The most unique aspect was a proper temperature protection circuit that injected a little current through mid and tweeter voice coils to calculate real time temperature (we were nervous about ferrofluid boiling). A later version had a circuit analog with short term and long term time constants to give an accurate simulation of temperature.

Eight Quad 405 modules pushing 150 watts each and it played "just about loud enough" to keep the chaps at BBC Maida Vale happy.

David
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either you're not David L. Smith or your grey cells are already letting you down! En(ric)o Cecconi will be very dissapointed you couldn't remember how to spell his name after all those years together. Likewise Barbara Keill.

Welcome to the forum anyway. PM sent.
audiolabtower
VIP Contributor 500+

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome and please stay, from another simple owner.

It's great to have first hand knowledge from actual Kef engineers like Guru and yourself, and experts like Colin to help us keep alive the memories and history of a world class leading British company from it's greatest era.
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, you only have to look at the forums of other famous loudspeakers, mainly USA. Not a patch on the KEF Forum!
Lee in Montreal
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: New member, ex KEF engineer. Hey, who's out there? Reply with quote

dsmith wrote:
... and later Dick Small.

What were his parents thinking? Wink
Plenty of KEF components for a few fun builds
exkefman
Intermediate Contributor 25+

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:45 am    Post subject: Re: New member, ex KEF engineer. Hey, who's out there? Reply with quote

dsmith wrote:
Hi all, Just stumbled across this site a few days ago and noticed that there are some ex KEF personel here.

My name is David Smith and I was an engineer at Maidstone from about 1982 to 1987, then moved back to the US and worked for the distributor in the Washington DC area.

My main projects were the pro models with the KM1 (with Rick Cicconi) the P60 and the redesign of the LS3/5a. I'd be happy to recount anything not yet wiped from the gray matter.

So who's out there? Speakerguru, did our years overlap? When I was there it was Mike Gough, Rick Cicconi, Andrew Jones, Phil Knight, Laurie and later Dick Small. Barbara Keene was our secretary. John Weller was lead draftsman (draughtsman?) John Miller in production?...running out of names.

Anyhow, love to hear from you all.

David

Hi David,

Not sure if you are still around and keeping an eye on this forum.

I joined KEF the year after you left, and the names you've mentioned I recognise....

See if you recall any of these (other than those you've mentioned) - most have long since left, either after the company went into receivership, or through retirement or were made redundant by Gold Peak, when production switched to China:

Frances Long (receptionist and "switchboard") - one of the most long serving and loyal employees who worked at KEF - hers was the first voice you heard if anyone phoned KEF.

Peter Gaskarth (Chairman)
Bill Angell (Finance Dir.)
David Gray (finance manager)
Colin Goodman (Production Dir.)
Alex Munro (Sales Dir., then Managing Dir.)
David Inman (RIP) (Marketing Dir.)
David O'Malley (sales manager)
Doug Watson (Production Dir, moved to Meridian)
John Belsey (export shipping)
Tricia Williamson (UK and export sales dept)

Audrey Trafford (secretary to Raymond Cooke)
Dawn Boatfield (secretary to Dir's then in sales, recently retired)
Lucy ? (secretary to Marketing Dir)

Sylvana Still-Ruch (bought ledger & wages)
Peter Hart (accounts)

Dennis White (draughtsman)
Adrian Hart (no 4 building)
Joan Bottle (drive unit production)
Bob the glueman
Neil Foreman (site maintenance)
Bert Lingham (production / tool room)

Ken Russell (service manager)
Pam Saunders (service secretary)

Dave Bottle (warehouse mgr)
Dave Vaughan (warehouse)

Clive Pitt (quality inspector)

Roy Purse (raw materials buyer)
Andy Germaney (r.m. buyer)
Paul Matthews (goods in)

Tim Barton (IT dept)

I think I'll stop there, though there are a few names on the tip of my tongue, who I should really add to this list, if I can recall them !!

(I used to work for KEF from 1988-1995 - you can see my "profile" here: http://www.hifiloudspeakers.info/speakertalk/viewtopic.php?t=1706)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: