SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

B110 type 6542

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SaSi
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject: B110 type 6542 Reply with quote

Has anyone heard of the 6542 version of the B110? They are marked as 24Ohm and supposed to be wired 3 in parallel.

Any idea of what they were used on or why they existed?
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Shocked , three were used together in the big Heathkit/Arena design with two 16 Ohm 6527 B139As and four A6535 T27s.

Unless you're into SET amplifiers with Triode electronic crossovers I'd run away at very high speed Cool .
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.

Last edited by ColinR on Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. Never even heard rumours of them from the old timers at KEF in the 70s.
KEF_Support
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: B110 type A6542 Reply with quote

ColinR is quite correct.

The A6542 was the 24 ohm version used in the Arena HT25, which was a system assembled by Hede Nielsens Fabriker in Denmark. A6542 went into production in 1968.

Regards to all.
SaSi
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, perhaps I should have listened to Colin and stayed away, but for 95 euro plus shipping I could not resist from saving 6 of these from that auction site.

They appear to be in very good shape, judging from the pictures, and I am waiting for their arrival.

Somehow I feel it's worth experimenting with these in form of a Bessel array with a T27 in the middle to form a central channel for a 5.1 system.
SaSi
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please don't laugh at me.

Can anyone suggest an interesting project with 12x B110 A6542? Assume that I have the power to drive them.
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy

Stereo

At the top 4" square of mdf/whatever to take a T27 (open baffle like), below 15 litre trapizoidal enclosure with front to slope angles of 30 degrees (like AR LST/MST) to take three 24 Ohm B110s wired in parallel on each face, bass unit and box to taste.

Centre

A 4"*8" rectangle of mdf/whatever for the T27s (on a pivot?), mount the left trapizoid described above the right (on a pivot?), a wider stereo version of six 5 litre enclosures would be complex to build and wouldn't offer greater performance i.m.h.o.

Well it is Sunday morning and I'm still half asleep Laughing .
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: