SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Voicing early KEF speakers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> Music for Lovers of Vintage KEF Speakers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gary
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:22 am    Post subject: Voicing early KEF speakers Reply with quote

Many quality manufacturers "voice" their products with music, vocals and spoken word. Since I am not a speaker manufacturer, I have no direct experience with this but I presume that when developing a new speaker or a driver/tweeter, along with endurance and frequency tests, they also perform listening tests.

I know that some (all?) manufacturers use pink noise (or white noise?) to see how their speakers perform.

Does anyone know what KEF used as test records to develop and tweak test records?

As engineers generally were not long haired hippie types, I would guess that they used vocalists (Sinatra? Petula Clark? Mantovani?) and big band or orchestras to see how their products sounded before releasing them.

Would early KEF speakers shine with this type of music?

Or am I totally out in left field? Laughing
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy
Quote:
engineers generally were not long haired hippie types

Some clues taken from the Concerto, Chorale, Coda, Ref. 103, Ref. 104, Calinda, Cantata, etc. Installation Instructions Listening Tests section.

Speech – ARGO(m)RG484 Elizabethan and Jacobean Lyric

String Orchestra – ARGO(s)ZRG5467 Mendelssohn String Symphonies Nos. 9,10&12

Full Orchestra – HMV(s)ASD608 Falla The Three Cornered Hat

Full Orchestra – DECCA(s)SXL6290 Dvorak Symphony No. 3

Full Orchestra – DGG(s)138974SLPM Sibelius No. 4

String Orchestra – DECCA(s)SXL6196 Shostakovitch Quartet No. 10

Piano Solo – DECCA(s)SXL6301 Mozart Sonatas played by Backhaus

Organ – HMV(s)CSD3657 Allan Wicks at Canterbury Catherdral

Soprano – DECCA(s)SXL2256 The Art of the Prima Donna

Dance Band – POLYDOR(s)583551 Bert Kaemphert Best Seller

Piano Concerto – DECCA(s)SXL6322 Brahms Piano Concerto No. 2 Backhaus

Cello Concerto – HMV(s)ASD2331 Haydn Cello Concerto in C
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
Gary
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say that that list was a little more than a hint!!!!!

Thanks for posting that - I might poke about and see if I have any of that but I gave away a few hundred classical LPs a few years ago. I still have about 100 or more... including a 10 or 11 LP set of The Rings! Eeek! First LP, first side.... the orchestra is warming up! Surprised
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> Music for Lovers of Vintage KEF Speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: