SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Long haired wool etc.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units
View previous topic :: View next topic  
captmike
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject: Long haired wool etc. Reply with quote

I am still using a pair of Bailey TL speakers I built in the early 70s using the KEFkit3. Having been in storage for the last 6 years, they now sound odd (with little or no bass). I have looked inside and the wool looks like it has seen better days. Moths or other insects?

My questions:
Any ideas on the lack of bass? (The bass driver sounds like it's working.)
Where can I buy replacement long haired wool?

Cheers,

Capt Mike
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long haired wool will "clump" over time by itself.

So get it out, examine it, any moth, burn it.

No infestation, use a 12" hacksaw blade to tease the wool out into sheets, spray generously with moth proofer and repack the cabinet.

Put a piece of acoustic foam at the termination of any line to avoid infestation.

If Falcon Acoustics ever become useful again, then there's an economic source, otherwise you're stuffed Shocked .
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dedshete, find an automotive supplier who'll charge £5 for five sheets, not £5 each.

Polyester wadding (Dacron) from an upholstery supplier will cost a third of the price for 14oz per square metre thickness and will come in 27" , 54" and 1m widths.

The yellow upholstery/acoustic"blown" foam is made in Middleton Manchester.

For long fibred wool you're going to have to find a herd of Wenslydale, Norfolk or some other long-haired breed of sheep.

Some Cambridge R50 use sheep's fleece in their lines, these examples are of variable quality sonically.
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
is the Dacron you mention the same as BAF wadding

Yes.
Dacron is the trade name of DuPont polyester yarn used in sailcloth (my hobby is sailing keel-boats), so in certain situations/countries like Hoover/vacuum-cleaner the names are interchangeable Very Happy .

Quote:
it looks the same...but that doesn't mean it is acoustically the same

If it is chemically similar i.e. the raw product has same UN/CAS number, which is paddling in my professional pond and has the same density per square metre, it is Cool .
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
frank
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:23 am    Post subject: Long Haired wool supplies Reply with quote

If you are interested you can buy Leicester long haired wool in raw form, which means it has to be washed and combed out, at reasonable prices from this place in Australia through Ebay:
http://myworld.ebay.com.au/moseleywool
or from their web-site:
http://www.moseleyparkhome.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: