SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Quad 909 sounds boring!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
centaurus
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:37 am    Post subject: Quad 909 sounds boring! Reply with quote

hi all,

i thought this would be the hot ticket for my KEF 104/2 and KEF Calinda.

i have yet to try it with my Calindas, but the 909 doesn't have any of that sexy in your face midrange we've come to love about quad. it's been on for over a week too.

not that the 909 sounds bad, it's basically peter walker's "straight wire with gain" philosophy. which is sorta funny being everyone loves his current dumpers BECAUSE THEY ARE COLORED Wink

there's nothing harsh about the 909. it does everything well, but it's just not engaging. at least running at a constant 4 ohms on the 104/2. about 250wpc.

I'm gonna throw on the 8 ohm calindas tonight and compare.

one day I'll have my modded 405-2 back from my friend. at least he's FINALLY STARTED IT!

anybody have any experiences with the 909?

see ya,
Robby
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: QUAD 909 Reply with quote

I've only heard them in shops as well as Hi-Fi shows and always thought them "SAFE". Probably what you meant by your statements.
Give me MF KWs!
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quad 606-2, 707 & 909 suffer from neutrality so you need a "bright" source to liven things up.
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
centaurus
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the quad 909 sounds nice calindas. but, the calindas sound better in general in my tight listening quarters anyway.

the 909 is very unobtrusive. it has no personality, per se. which is the goal of a good amp. but the 405-2, even stock, had more synergy with the Calindas. you can tell, without a doubt, that the 405 was the amp used to voice the Calindas.

stock for stock, the 909 is more extended and has tighter bass than the 405-2. it is a better amp. but is it a more exciting amp? not so sure.

there's a guy locally that might want to trade me straight across of a late 1970's Threshold 400A factory modded to STASIS-3 (early 1980's). would you do it?

Robby
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> Audio equipment All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: