SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need help ID'ing a KEF speaker model

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thomas
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject: Need help ID'ing a KEF speaker model Reply with quote

Came across a pair of KEF speakers today that I'd appreciate an ID on.

These were 2-way units with an (approximate) 4" x 8" vertically oriented lozenge-shaped woofer (with white rubber (?) surrounds). The tweeter was about 2-1/2 to 3" in diameter (a guess) and was a metallic dome.

The cabinet was about 16" x 24" with a recessed ~1"-2" pedestal base. The cabinet was of a beautiful wood (Teak? Rosewood?) and had an ornate wooden grille.

There were absolutely no markings on the speakers other than a "KEF" on the upper corners of the cabinet.

The guy who has them for sale had removed whatever original speaker wire connectors were there and jury-rigged an RCA-type connector.

Does anyone have an idea what model these speakers are? Their vintage, desirability, fair-market value?

Any help would be deeply appreciated...thanks.

I sincerely apologize for the approximate dimensions but I'm going from memory and was mostly concentrating on their sound.

Thomas
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEF B139A + T15 = Celeste, portable Celeste or Cantata (1st version), plus a few OEM's speakers.

Sounds like a early Cantata type box, therefore 1968-1971 vintage.

Desired by bottleheads and speaker strippers for the B139's.

If you like them pay up to £40, £10 to £25 if you're going to pimp them or part them out on Epay.
Thomas
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 11:46 pm    Post subject: Thanks ColinR Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.

The era sounds about right because those articulated, ornate wood grills reminded me of some Sansuis of the same vintage.

The guy wanted $100 but could probably be talked down to the 40 pound level. One of the cabinets had some veneer damage. Absolutely gorgeous, elegant cabinets...beautiful.

I'm going to have to think about this one, but thanks again for the info.

Thomas
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$100!

If you're coming over to the U.K. you can have the pair of fully functional "EF" speakers I snagged at yesterday's Bank Holiday Market for........................ let's say £20 Very Happy .

That would give me a 400% profit on the £4 that I paid for the pair of K2 Celeste Mk II Serial numbers ~31000 from 26/03/69.

There is some cabinet damage as the Design Centre sticker had been left on one of them, the K is missing from the KEF badges Smile and the boxes could do with a light rub-down and a good oiling.

At $100 walk away, £40 was a guesstimated value for a "mint" pair.

From your description
Quote:
One of the cabinets had some veneer damage.

whatever requires fixing must be costed at a professional's rate and knocked off the asking price to produce a "fair" offer.
Thomas
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 1:16 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the info, ColinR Reply with quote

I walked...
nut853

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:02 pm    Post subject: One thing Reply with quote

IMO there is just one thing you are missing... I'll PM you about that.
raedididi
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: coming over to Oxford this summer for two weeks, July 2006 Reply with quote

ColinR wrote:
$100!

If you're coming over to the U.K. you can have the pair of fully functional "EF" speakers I snagged at yesterday's Bank Holiday Market for........................ let's say £20 Very Happy .

That would give me a 400% profit on the £4 that I paid for the pair of K2 Celeste Mk II Serial numbers ~31000 from 26/03/69.

There is some cabinet damage as the Design Centre sticker had been left on one of them, the K is missing from the KEF badges Smile and the boxes could do with a light rub-down and a good oiling.

At $100 walk away, £40 was a guesstimated value for a "mint" pair.

From your description
Quote:
One of the cabinets had some veneer damage.

whatever requires fixing must be costed at a professional's rate and knocked off the asking price to produce a "fair" offer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: