SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

B200 in which Linn's
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> Linn Kan, Isobarik and others
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hans 67
Intermediate Contributor 25+

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 5:06 pm    Post subject: B200 in which Linn's Reply with quote

Hello all,

which Linn speakers use the B200?
And which version of the B200?
Has anybody a schematic of the crossovers used in the Linn speakers?

Greetings, Hans
terry
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Linn Index used a B200. Not sure which version.
Terry
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: B200 in which Linn's Reply with quote

KEF produced FIVE versions of the basic B200, then came the B200G series the latest is the B200 SP 1343...
Anyway, I think there may have been a couple of Linn speakers using the B200, was the 'SARAH' on of them? My memory is so poor.

Andy.
hans 67 wrote:
Hello all,

Greetings, Hans

terry
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy
have you any documentation relating to KEF speakers which you might permit me to publish on the site?
Best wishes
Terry
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 3:18 am    Post subject: Re: B200 in which Linn's Reply with quote

The Linn speakers that used the B200 were the Sara and the Sara 9. I too have no idea as to which B200 it was. (There were 5 made by KEF).

hans 67 wrote:
Hello all,

Greetings, Hans

proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only wish Terry. I once had a unique collection of KEF Newsletters only sent to the trade as far as I know. They were a magnificent source of information, sadly lost in a fire many years ago. Anyything I have now is available on the internet or Ebay... I dio have a 'small' listing of speakers using KEF units back in the 1970s, some are rather AMAZING! Please let me know if you are interested.

terry wrote:
Andy
have you any documentation relating to KEF speakers which you might permit me to publish on the site?
Best wishes
Terry

terry
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be delighted to get any information about ranges of other speakers which used KEF drive units. I have a HiFi Choice book written by Angus Mckenzie from the mid 70s which provides some details but it is not in any way comprehensive.
Terry
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think I may have mentioned this somewhere else on your site Terry.
If not then apologies.
Due to a mix-up I lost the ENTIRE collection of KEF Newsletters until their end of production. A sad occasion indeed!
You do already have a magnificent site; note you have not posted my pictures I sent of the early tweeter variants yet. Please do ask if there is a gap that we can fill here. I cannot to this day fathom the prices that KEF units fetch on the 2nd hand market still. No other manufacturer manages this do they? Where have KEF gone wrong in the DIY sector? Well I'm sure that we all know, what a damned sad shame
terry
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy
Sorry about pictures of T15s. I still have them and they will be published. I have however such a backlog that I just manage to chip away at bits and pieces from time to time. I have at least a couple of hundred additions to make to the site.
Thanks for the compliments about the site.
Terry
terry
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew

Pictures are now on the site. Link from here to T15 photos.

Let me know if you would like me to change anything.

Best wishes

Terry
Roy
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:44 am    Post subject: Linn Sara B200 Reply with quote

Hi

I have just dismantled my Linn Saras and they use the sp1014 B200 varient. It is modified by Linn by painting its frame with thick black paint to damp any vibrations, and the central dust cover is replaced by a flat section.

One of my Saras B200's is dead, and I do not want to pinch one from my 104ABs. Anyone got a spare SP1014?

Cheers

Roy
exkefman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEF produced a lot more "B200" drive units than 5 - because basically "B" just means it's a bass unit and "200" is the diameter in millimetres.

Linn bought B200 Type SP1014 drive units for use in the original SARA and later the original Index.

They heavily modified the drive units that were used in the SARA's.

I also found out that Roksan used B200 SP1014 in one of their speakers from around 1990 - and they bought these from Linn !!

(I was OEM Manager at KEF at the time and went to a Roksan musical evening and saw the speakers (IIRC called "Darius") and recognised the bass drive units...a quick chat with the Roksan rep gave me the background to their "source" - I couldn't find out why they didn't buy direct from KEF (as an OEM customer) !!

(I used to work for KEF from 1988-1995 - you can see my "profile" here: http://www.hifiloudspeakers.info/speakertalk/viewtopic.php?t=1706)
kandlbarrett
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:18 am    Post subject: Linn B200 Reply with quote

Linn Index Mk1 and Mk1 Plus used B200 SP1014.

Some Index Mk1 used a Kef tweeter and some used Tonegen. I believe the change came with the "Plus" update and move from Kef to Tonegen.

There is then the Linn Index Mk2 which did NOT use a B200 and had slight changes to the cabinet.

NOTE: whilst not Linn the Monitor Audio MA4 also used the KEF B200 SP1039.
exkefman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Linn B200 Reply with quote

kandlbarrett wrote:
Linn Index Mk1 and Mk1 Plus used B200 SP1014.

Some Index Mk1 used a Kef tweeter and some used Tonegen. I believe the change came with the "Plus" update and move from Kef to Tonegen.

I used to be a Linn dealer (before I joined KEF) and I don't recall seeing any original Linn Index speakers with KEF manufactured HF units - Linn used the KEF "SP1192" HF unit which were made in Japan and KEF bought them in and used on a few of the cheaper KEF models. When they ceased being available, Linn switched to Tonegen.

kandlbarrett wrote:

There is then the Linn Index Mk2 which did NOT use a B200 and had slight changes to the cabinet.

The Mk 2 Index was a different product altogether with quite a different cabinet, as it was front ported (IIRC) whereas the original Index was an infinite baffle.

kandlbarrett wrote:

NOTE: whilst not Linn the Monitor Audio MA4 also used the KEF B200 SP1039.

Raymond Cooke was a very clever engineer - he knew that to make drive units at scale and with high levels of consistency, he needed to make many of them...and as KEF was a new-ish company, he couldn't use ALL of the drive units manufactured just for KEF loudspeaker products.

So, he made the drive units available to other brands: Celef, IMF, Cambridge Audio, Lecson, Linn, Tangent, Jim Rogers, Dalesford, Radford, Sonus Faber, Wilson Audio, Pawel Acoustics etc on an OEM basis.

And of course the T27/B110 was supplied as OEM for the LS3/5a as built by Rogers, Spendor, Harbeth, Audiomaster, Chartwell and Goodmans.

And KEF made the "KEFkits" and "Constructor Series" too, so DIY-ers could make their own speakers.

It should also be noted that supplying other brands with KEF drive units, also gave KEF valuable "competitor" information, as they could then see the quantities of products from other brands that were being sold. Smile

(edited to include Harbeth to the list of brands of LS3/5a's).

(I used to work for KEF from 1988-1995 - you can see my "profile" here: http://www.hifiloudspeakers.info/speakertalk/viewtopic.php?t=1706)

Last edited by exkefman on Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Joddle
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

exkefman wrote:
KEF produced a lot more "B200" drive units than 5 - because basically "B" just means it's a bass unit and "200" is the diameter in millimetres.

Linn bought B200 Type SP1014 drive units for use in the original SARA and later the original Index.

They heavily modified the drive units that were used in the SARA's.

I have later Saras and there is no apparent modification to the B200s such as doping or white dust caps. I have had the speakers from new so know they have not been changed. They seem to be a bog standard Kef 200 SP1014 units
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> Linn Kan, Isobarik and others All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: