SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The KM1 repair and restoration project. Help....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul Marchant
Intermediate Contributor 50+

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And this week's predictable update...

I've gone over to the lockup where the bass enclosures are hiding, and manipulated their moving parts (ahem).

Some further progress is apparent. Of the two that rubbed last week, one now only rubs at the extreme of its excursion and appears OK if just tickled gently. The other still has rub at all points in its movement range.

We're getting there gradually...
Paul Marchant

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't get a chance to visit the lock-up this week, too busy at work.

When I had the bass cabs out, a few weeks ago, I noticed that one of the grilles was slightly warped and wouldn't clip all the way into the body of the loudspeaker.

Knowing nothing at all about remedial woodworking, I've brought it home and laid it on the kitchen table with some 3/4" drive sockets as weights in an attempt to straighten it.

https://imgur.com/a/i4kY4NB

No idea if it'll work, but if not I can make a replacement grille. We'll see what comes over the next week.
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul Marchant wrote:

Knowing nothing at all about remedial woodworking, I've brought it home and laid it on the kitchen table with some 3/4" drive sockets as weights in an attempt to straighten it.

No idea if it'll work, but if not I can make a replacement grille. We'll see what comes over the next week.

Best to apply heat, then overbend while letting it cool. Then hope you've not gone too far Laughing
Paul Marchant

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I think heat is going to be necessary. Gravity alone hasn't done it so far.

I've a little free time over Easter, I'll have a bash then.
Paul Marchant

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:27 pm    Post subject: Progress... almost there Reply with quote

So, after a week with weights piled on it, the curvy grille is almost flat.

I think it's probably flat enough to work without problems, but I'm going to give it another week and try to get it perfect.

In the meantime, I've just come back from paying the bass cabs a visit.

I think we're very nearly there with the B300s realigning themselves.

There's only rub now at the extremes of travel - well past the +/- 6mm that I think the linear excursion's specified at.

I'm going to give it a little longer though. Whilst patience isn't one of my strongest virtues, I'm aware that rushing things and scraping a voice coil to death will bring endless pain to the project.

With the advent of warmer weather, I've managed to convince myself that the last bit of gravity-assisted voice-coil realignment will happen sooner rather than later (I don't know how temperature sensitive the surround is, but I reckon there's some effect). The storage unit is freezing cold, even today when it's warm outside, but this will change in the coming weeks and hopefully help things along.

The end is in sight.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: