SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reference Three's

View previous topic :: View next topic  
clubsport911
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reference Three's Reply with quote

Good afternoon folks.

As a satisfied owner of 105/3's, and listened to Reference 4's & Blade Meta's at my mates house, I have decided to move into Reference Three's - I was tempted by Fours (4.2's) but they are a touch too large.

Three's seem to offer me a little "more" of what I want - a few more Hz in the lower registers etc. I'm aware that Andrew (on the KEF design team ) used to post here and I think he moved to Elac ? If he is still on-line and active, I'd love to deep dive a little into the ethos of these designs as they have some slightly difference design concepts compared to the 105/3's.

Needless to say, my 105/3's will be up for sale soon as Director of Domestic operations has a limit to the number of boxes allowed in the AV room.

Any other Reference Three owners here ?
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew Jones left KEF in the 90s when he moved to the USA to join Pioneer, if I remember correctly.

That was around the time before we'd even started work on the Ref Series 1, 2, 3 and 4. I don't think he had much input on that series before he left. AFAIC recall. most of the work was done by myself and Richard Hunter.

At LF, I think they all used the double coupled cavity configuration, where a reflex box feeds a second ported cavity and it's this second cavity which ports to the outside.
Advantages; more extension and excursion reduction
Disadvantages: higher order cut off.

Earlier coupled cavity designs had a closed box feedning into the second cavity.
clubsport911
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Yes, I have (over the years) become very familiar with the CC bass system on 104/2, 105/3 etc.

The Newer Reference One, Two, Three and Four had the so-called interport as you mentioned. On the KEF enthusiasts FaceBook page, I have documented the dissassembly of the Three's comparing them to the 105/3's I have. I was surprised (but not really in fact) to see just how much cheaper the modern speakers were compared to the earlier designs and it shows up in so many ways. I also noticed the Three crossover is much simpler which surprised me as from a post by Andrew, he mentioned just how hard it was to align the crossover on the interported design.

More thoughts ?

Welcome !
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's too long ago for me to remember much detail. I don't recall the crossovers being simple.

WHat I can say is that compared to a reflex's two impedance peaks, a raw interport (or double coupled cavity) design has three peaks in the impedance curve as well as the usual hf rise due to the voice coil semi-inductance. This is a difficult load for any passive filter to "see" when designing a xo.
In order to get the LF section of the crossover to converge to a target response, with this load, the upper peaks would have to be, at least, partially reduced with conjugate networks (like the 104|2 which ended up as a substantially resistive load).

Can you provide a schematic of the Three's XO?
clubsport911
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I do have a cct diagram for my Reference Three's. Interestingly, the speakers are labelled as "Three's" but have the boundary layer compensation device and the "5th wire" to a low value resistor in the crossover. As far as I can ascertain, if you short out the resistor, bass is flat (but speakers need to be away from walls / corner). If you leave it open circuit, bass is reduced for boundary placement.

How can i attach a picture on this forum ?
audiolabtower
VIP Contributor 500+

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upload the pic to a site like Flickr which will give a url to the picture direct. That url will work in a post using the IMG links in the posting box. Google photos tend to be a pain to get to actually display.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: