SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kef 105/3 'S' Variant?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sydbar81
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:22 pm    Post subject: Kef 105/3 'S' Variant? Reply with quote

Checking in with the experts here as I cannot find a lick of info on these. Any differences between the standard 105/3?

A pair recently came up for sale near me and I am thinking about picking them up, they are in much nicer original condition than my current pair.

https://ibb.co/Fg4D6wL
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all my 25 years at KEF in the UK, I've never heard of a 105|3S nor ever seen a blue label on a KEF speaker before.

If it's original, I can only surmise that it was done by an overseas agent or reseller for some reason unknown to me.
audiolabtower
VIP Contributor 500+

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was taken aback by that blue label. Kef were usually not that ostentatious in their backs Smile
tlmadsen
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall that the Japanese importer of KEF ( luxman ?), had people in Maidstone i early 92. They where suppose to make “improved” PCB for the 105/3 and the 103/4 turning them into”S” versions especially for the Japanese marked. No changes of actual x-over was made. Could be interesting to see the crossover PCB of a S-version.

Thomas
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tlmadsen wrote:
I recall that the Japanese importer of KEF ( luxman ?), had people in Maidstone i early 92. They where suppose to make “improved” PCB for the 105/3 and the 103/4 turning them into”S” versions especially for the Japanese marked. No changes of actual x-over was made. Could be interesting to see the crossover PCB of a S-version.

You are probably right, Tim. I'd probably wiped that visit from my memory. The sight of a Lux "engineer" unwinding inductors at the back of a cabinet while listening to the tweeter output via a mirror at the front was too much to bear at the time.
audiolabtower
VIP Contributor 500+

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using his ears as a fast fourier transform, impressive! Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: