SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KEF 103/4 problems--crossovers?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cunningtim
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:04 pm    Post subject: KEF 103/4 problems--crossovers? Reply with quote

I have a pair of KEF 103/4 SP3131 speakers that I bought used and which have unfortunately never worked. Sound output is very distorted. I have disassembled the speakers (and had the woofers refoamed) and tested all of the drivers using test tones. They all seem to be working properly except for one of the midbass Uni-Q drivers, which emits a raspy, warbling tone. I have not been able to find anyone locally (southeastern Pennsylvania) who wants to work on them, and anyway would like to do much of the work myself, both out of interest and to save money.

The mid-bass driver is a B160 SP1278. I found a reasonably priced new B160 SP1320. Does anyone know what the difference between these is, and if this would be an appropriate replacement? If not, can anyone recommend a technician I could send my driver to for repair?

I assume that, since the other drivers work, my primary problem is the crossovers. I don’t know how to test them, nor do I have a schematic diagram. I’m decent at soldering and am comfortable replacing capacitors, etc. if I knew where to start. I have seen that Falcon Acoustics have recap kits but currently nothing is listed for the 103/4.

Open to any and all suggestions—thanks for adding me to this forum, and for your time.
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: KEF 103/4 problems--crossovers? Reply with quote

cunningtim wrote:
They all seem to be working properly except for one of the midbass Uni-Q drivers, which emits a raspy, warbling tone.

If you move the cone gently with your fingers does it move smoothly in and out OR can you feel grit or grinding?

cunningtim wrote:

The mid-bass driver is a B160 SP1278. I found a reasonably priced new B160 SP1320. Does anyone know what the difference between these is, and if this would be an appropriate replacement? ?
Sorry - no and no.

cunningtim wrote:
I assume that, since the other drivers work, my primary problem is the crossovers. I don’t know how to test them, nor do I have a schematic diagram. I’m decent at soldering and am comfortable replacing capacitors, etc. if I knew where to start.

Buy yourself a cheap LCR meter from eBay/Ali/BangGood etc. Be sure to get one that measures capacitor loss factor/esr.
Using a solder sucker or braid, desolder one leg of every component and lift it out of the board. You can then measure the value of each component without any interaction and trace out the circuit. Post it here and we'll take it from there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: