SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

B200 in which Linn's
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> Linn Kan, Isobarik and others
View previous topic :: View next topic  
exkefman
Intermediate Contributor 25+

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joddle wrote:
I have later Saras and there is no apparent modification to the B200s such as doping or white dust caps. I have had the speakers from new so know they have not been changed. They seem to be a bog standard Kef 200 SP1014 units

Hiya

When I worked in retail, I seem to recall the SARA's we sold, had a white/cream "dustcap" and the rear of the cone had additional doping applied by Linn (compared to an original SP1014).

edit: I now recall also that Linn also applied sound deadening material to the chassis of some MF/LF units, which might include those used in the SARA.

Later on, they might have retained the original KEF dustcap....maybe to save time/cost? (I'm a bit sketchy on this as I moved from retail to manufacturing in 1988 - so that was 30+ years ago !!)

However, later SARA's I think might have switched to using another manufacturer of drive units (maybe ELAC?) as the B200 frame was a generic type (not pressed by KEF) and so other brands could make "drop-in" alternative bass units, which might have been made to Linn's specifications.

One would need to remove the (front) drive unit to establish the original manufacturer (assuming the unit hasn't been replaced beforehand).

(I used to work for KEF from 1988-1995 - you can see my "profile" here: http://www.hifiloudspeakers.info/speakertalk/viewtopic.php?t=1706)

Last edited by exkefman on Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:43 am; edited 3 times in total
Joddle
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

exkefman wrote:
Joddle wrote:
I have later Saras and there is no apparent modification to the B200s such as doping or white dust caps. I have had the speakers from new so know they have not been changed. They seem to be a bog standard Kef 200 SP1014 units

Hiya

When I worked in retail, I seem to recall the SARA's we sold, had a white/cream "dustcap" and the rear of the cone had additional doping applied by Linn (compared to an original SP1014).

Later on, they might have retained the original KEF dustcap....maybe to save time/cost? (I'm a bit sketchy on this as it moved from retail to manufacturing in 1988 - so that was 30+ years ago !!)

However, later SARA's I think might have switched to using another manufacturer of drive units (maybe ELAC?) as the B200 frame was a generic type (not pressed by KEF) and so other brands could make "drop-in" alternative bass units, which might have been made to Linn's specifications.

One would need to remove the (front) drive unit to establish the original manufacturer (assuming the unit hasn't been replaced beforehand).

rgds
Tim

The drive units are definitely KEF B200s SP10140 - I had the misfortune to blow one some time ago and bought another pair on ebay and it was absolutely identical to the one I took out.
exkefman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joddle wrote:
The drive units are definitely KEF B200s SP10140 - I had the misfortune to blow one some time ago and bought another pair on ebay and it was absolutely identical to the one I took out.

Fair enough Smile

I wasn't disbelieving you at all...just relating my previous experiences.

And there are plenty of images of SARA speakers on the 'net, both with KEF dustcap, the white/cream dustcap and maybe even other differences I haven't spotted.

BTW, the following is quite useful with regards to Linn product history...though it doesn't throw any extra light on the SARA production changes:

http://www.sievers.sh/content/linn_2.php?group=130&ugroup=0

Sample SARA info copied here:

Quote:
Sara, introduced 1978, discontinued 1989

Crossover: Bi-wiring introduced to Sara 9 Oct. 1988 20,913/4
Sara 9: Introduced, incorporating changes to treble unit (countersunk screws), bass unit (white disc removed and plastic surround changed to thicker rubber), crossover (now 4 ohm) Sept. 1987 18,299/300

Sockets: Replaced cannon sockets with two 4 mm sockets. Jun. 1985 16,300/1
Bass Unit: Surround changed to plastic material. May 1985 16,051/2
Treble Unit: Smoother response. Incorporates Linn logo on front plate. May 1984 14,731/2
Crossover: Resistor added in parallel with treble coil. Feb. 1983 13,249/50
Unit Damping: Painted with sound deadening paint.
Cabinet Material: Material change; now has rounded front. Mar. 1982 10,850/1
Drive Unit: Sealer changed from mastic to silicone sealant. Jan. 1980 10,440/1
Baffle: Changed from welded plastic to one piece moulded carbon filled ABS with removable ring for front bass unit. Bass unit venting increased. Oct. 1979 10,280/81

Also:

This webpage has the same basic history, but with the addition of the cross-over network schematic:

http://www.nodecorporation.co.uk/sara01.htm

(I used to work for KEF from 1988-1995 - you can see my "profile" here: http://www.hifiloudspeakers.info/speakertalk/viewtopic.php?t=1706)
Joddle
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had conflicting info regarding the crossovers in my Linn Saras and tried to raise this issues a while back but things got busy so I did not follow it up. My ones, (i.e. no dope or white cap and just two 8mm sockets and Linn branded Hiquphon tweeters) have not been sounding so good at the top end for a while and two things come to mind. Are the tweeters blown? or could it be a crossover issue?

What I notice is a definite lack of clear top end although when touching the the tweeter domes they do appear to be doing something as I can feel the vibrations. However with a listening test where I swap between listening to music between my TV and the Hi Fi, it is very noticeable that despite very poor overall quality, the TV does have much better treble response and by contrast the Saras sound rather muddy.

I wrote to Linn and was told by that the components in Saras are not affected by electrolytic caps changing so from that they suggested the issue to be with the drive units.

I also contacted Oskar at Hiquafon who said it could be the drive units but he does not do a repair service and suggested buying new OW3 units as replacements. but they are not cheap!

Then just a while back I was told the crossovers could in fact be the reason but I have no evidence to support that.

So without taking the boxes and completely removing both B200s, to get at the crossovers or removing the tweeters , is there a better way of testing the speakers to identify the true cause ?

And before anyone suggests it, no its not just my ears - on other speakers I can hear much better defined top end!!!
exkefman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I'm surprised that Linn say that aging capacitors would NOT be a problem.

However: A quick google found this:

http://www.nodecorporation.co.uk/sara01.htm

And there's a rather nice crossover diagram showing a pair of capacitors (a 4u7 and a 5u0) in line with the positive input (going to the positive terminal of the tweeter).

So, any change in the value of these could be affecting the low frequency cutoff point of the tweeter (which could lead to damage of the voice coil, if the frequency is lowered and the voice coil is over driven by lower frequencies than it is designed to cope with), or it could simply be affecting the overall "voltage" (and hence the output level) of the tweeter, if the "inline" resistance has increased.

Given the age of the speakers, I would have thought that the capacitors might be the obvious thing to check/replace?

Instead of dismantling the speakers totally, you might be able to remove one of the tweeters carefully and then get it checked over independantly of the Sara crossover?

At least that might provide an answer as to whether it is the drive unit or the crossover (or maybe a combination of aging of both)?

Joddle
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the email I received from Linn after asking about the Sara crossovers

Hi
Thank you for your e-mail
I can advise that we do not use electrolytic capacitors in our crossovers. It is more likely that the treble drivers have developed a fault than the crossovers having issues.
Best Regards
Colin
Customer Support
Linn Products Limited
Tel: +44 (0) 141 303 5194
Fax: +44 (0) 141 644 4262
Email: helpline@linn.co.uk

I think I may try and remove one of the tweeters and see if a cheap or replacement tweeter put in its place makes any difference! ( in fact there is proper one on Ebay for £50 which I may go for to use as as replacement test and then note the frequencies being heard. - If there was a dramatic change then it would confirm damage to the original drive unit.

As a complete aside, did anyone ever do a crossover upgrade kit for the Sara? A proper "one board" design instead of using two near identical units in parallel would be a nice option
exkefman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joddle wrote:
This is the email I received from Linn after asking about the Sara crossovers

Hi
Thank you for your e-mail
I can advise that we do not use electrolytic capacitors in our crossovers. It is more likely that the treble drivers have developed a fault than the crossovers having issues.
Best Regards
Colin
Customer Support
Linn Products Limited
Tel: +44 (0) 141 303 5194
Fax: +44 (0) 141 644 4262
Email: helpline@linn.co.uk

It may well be that they do not use electrolytics now, but they might have done 40+ years ago...without looking at the crossover (which is tricky to get to), then one doesn't know...unless another member can provide some better information?

Of course, there is also the possibility of a "dry" (solder) joint on the circuit board or at one (or more) connection point(s) between the input socket and the tweeter.

Joddle wrote:
I think I may try and remove one of the tweeters and see if a cheap or replacement tweeter put in its place makes any difference! ( in fact there is proper one on Ebay for £50 which I may go for to use as as replacement test and then note the frequencies being heard. - If there was a dramatic change then it would confirm damage to the original drive unit.

As a complete aside, did anyone ever do a crossover upgrade kit for the Sara? A proper "one board" design instead of using two near identical units in parallel would be a nice option

Yup - this is probably your best option initially.

Of course another "question" that needs answering is whether the same issue is occurring on both speakers (to more or less the same degree)?

If it was just one tweeter, then you could swap the tweeters over (between the two cabinets) and if the fault stays with the same cabinet, it'll be the crossover, or if it "moves" with the tweeter to the other cabinet, then it is probably the drive unit.

Also, if you can get hold of an identical (and hopefully far more recent production) tweeter, then you can swap this between cabinets and see what happens...

Joddle
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course another "question" that needs answering is whether the same issue is occurring on both speakers (to more or less the same degree)?

If it was just one tweeter, then you could swap the tweeters over (between the two cabinets) and if the fault stays with the same cabinet, it'll be the crossover, or if it "moves" with the tweeter to the other cabinet, then it is probably the drive unit.

To answer the first part - yes both speakers seem identically affected.

One factor may be that many years ago my very young kids managed to cause the system to go into violent feedback with the volume control turned up when they allowed the turntable arm to rest on the plinth. It was quite a few seconds before I rushed into the room and muted the system. As a result I had to replace two of the B200s but the tweeters did not seem to have suffered at the time - but who knows!!!!
exkefman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joddle wrote:
To answer the first part - yes both speakers seem identically affected.

One factor may be that many years ago my very young kids managed to cause the system to go into violent feedback with the volume control turned up when they allowed the turntable arm to rest on the plinth. It was quite a few seconds before I rushed into the room and muted the system. As a result I had to replace two of the B200s but the tweeters did not seem to have suffered at the time - but who knows!!!!

Hi

I wouldn't think that an issue from "many years ago" would start cropping up "many years" later on... and just on the tweeters.

But, there again, I don't know how the tweeters were made in terms of (say) whether any ferrofluid was used (which can "dry out" over time), what material the voice coil former was made from (eg: if made from cardboard, it could be susceptible to moisture), etc.

But getting hold of another tweeter (as you previously mentioned) and doing a swap with at least one "cabinet" might be enough to verify where the issue (probably) is.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> Linn Kan, Isobarik and others All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: