SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Corelli Type SP 1051 Repair Advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cryptical11
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:56 am    Post subject: Corelli Type SP 1051 Repair Advice Reply with quote

Hello my name is Ellis. I am a new member living in Memphis, Tennessee and an all around audio enthusiast. Glad to join the group!

I need help, please. I just bought these Corelli Type SP 1051 speakers. Please advise me what I should do. One of the speakers sounds great. The other one sounds to me like the tweeter is blown.

Before buying an expensive tweeter off ebay I was planning on checking and recapping the crossover. On the crossover, one of the capacitors looks toasted and one of the inductors looks oil stained. See flickr photos using the link following links:

https://flic.kr/p/2m9PHJP

https://flic.kr/p/2m9PHJZ
audiolabtower
VIP Contributor 500+

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take the suspect tweeter and put it in the other speaker, if it sounds ok the crossover is the problem. The inductor at one end looks toasted, and perhaps the resistor next to it? Can you get someone to unsolder one end of the components and measure inductance and capacitance etc?
Cryptical11
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only have a multimeter so I do not know how I can test the inductor. By the looks of the oily looking inductor I think would just like to replace it.

The schematic can be seen in the below flickr link and shows inductor values of 2 mH 2.1 mH and 3.1 mH. Can I just order these from Mouser?

The following link shows the schematic:
https://flic.kr/p/2m9U51f
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That system has been well and truly overdriven and the XO overheated. That fried inductor is probably open circuit. The tweeter may or may not be fried too. Good advice to try it in another system.

An LCR meter is less than £30 on UK eBay. Not a bad investment if you're going to be messing around with speakers. Make sure you get one that can measure capacitor loss factor/ESR/delta.
Cryptical11
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip speakerguru. I just now ordered a LCR meter DER EE model DE-5000.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: