SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KEF 107 restoration issues

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Huba Buba
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:36 pm    Post subject: KEF 107 restoration issues Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I am currently in the process of restoring a pair of KEF 107s, complete with the original matching KUBE. They had a single previous owner who took good care of them, a retired sound engineer with a severely failing hearing. Talking to him about them, he explained that the head assembly with the mid drivers and tweeters worked perfectly, but that he hadn't used them for years and that the woofers would probably need refoaming. As expected.

Upon arriving home, and more careful testing, the mids and highs seemed flawless, but I noticed some light distortion from the left bass cabinet. Turning the volume up a little produced buzzing and light distortion from both cabinets. Surely the surrounds were all gone. I ordered a refoaming kit, and started prepping everything. I bought new ferrofluid for the tweeters too while at it.

Taking the drivers out, three of them had completely disintegrated surrounds, but on one they were more or less intact, although quite cracked. Sitting down with the drivers to start stripping them of glue and residue, the driver with the surrounds still on revealed a potentially big problem. The voice coil had burnt through the paper tube it is wound on, and made a tangle of burnt copper wire in the little circular space beneath the donut. I also noticed that the cone was protruding beyond the frame, and the spider seemed to be bulging.

One possible (?) hypothesis is that years ago, with his hearing already failing, the voice coil burnt without him noticing. Continuing to play the speakers, the mechanical motion caused the coil wire to tangle up, thereby seizing the woofer and preserving the surrounds on that particular driver.

Two drivers seem fine, with resistance readings of about 7Ω (they're rated at 8Ω, so that's acceptable/normal (?)). One driver reads 15Ω, and the one with the burnt coil reads 4Ω. Any insights into these readings?

I've looked at the reconing kit from The Speaker Exchange (https://reconingspeakers.com/product/kef-sp1215-10-aftermarket-recone-kit-kef-107-b250/), but according to this post (http://www.hifiloudspeakers.info/speakertalk/viewtopic.php?t=1917) the diameter of the voice coil in this kit is too small (2.006" instead of 2.040") and it'd be near impossible to fit it correctly. The info text does state that "This kit requires some modifications!", although I don't know exactly what that means. I have contacted them about this, but have not heard back yet. Does anyone have more information about this?

Another option is having the driver professionally reconed/rebuilt, but I wouldn't know where.

Lastly, I could look for a replacement driver, but the KEF B250 seems very difficult to obtain.

To sum it up, I now have an issue on my hands that I hope someone could help me figure out. Any advice would be massively appreciated!

All the best,
- Kristoffer

Huba Buba
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

The Speaker Exchange got back to me regarding the stated modification requirements of the reconing kit:

Quote:
Hello,

The modifications mentioned has to do with re-using the original cone and trimming the voice coil’s form height. There is a cone available to use with the kit for an extra $15, but it is not like the original cone.

We’ve heard from someone else about the voice coil being too small, but we haven’t had any issues with the voice coil we supply with this kit. The person questioning the voice coil size ordered the kit with the 2.006” inside diameter voice coil and completed the repair without a problem.

I also notice that they have a voice coil with a 2.020" diameter available, but this has a .500" wind width compared to the .562" wind width of the one in the kit. What difference would a .062" discrepancy make? And does anyone have information on the wind width of the original KEF B250 voice coil?

All the best,
- K
ebf
Intermediate Contributor 25+

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered the kit. They sent me the wrong parts! They have re-sent it, but I have not yet received it. I live in Norway. I have now 7 spare B250s, but at least 4 need new coils (I ordered 4 kits).
So I dont know yet if they fit. They have sent me pictures of them re-coning, and it seems OK.

But yeah, ordering from the US and having them ship to NO, has taken me 6-10 weeks now in the covid19 times...

Patience!

E
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huba Buba wrote:

I also notice that they have a voice coil with a 2.020" diameter available, but this has a .500" wind width compared to the .562" wind width of the one in the kit. What difference would a .062" discrepancy make? And does anyone have information on the wind width of the original KEF B250 voice coil?

Well, it's been a long time (1975-76?) but I designed the B300, originally SP1060 in a sandcast aluminium chassis. The motor was modified from the existing B139. The 0.25" thick square top plate became circular and the VC wind length was extended from 0.5" to 0.75" to the best of my memory. That increase the nominal "linear" Xmax from 0.25" to 0.5" before the coil started to exit the gap. The spider went from shallow triangular folds to a fuller semi-circular section to cope with the longer travel.
Huba Buba
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your replies! I still haven't made any move with this project, as I'm still trying to navigate the options.

Also very interested to hear your experience with the reconing kit when you receive the correct parts, ebf!

All the best,
- K
Derekdick
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I just purchased a pair of KEF 107s with a KUBE.
Looks like the vendor was the type that buys and sells old equipment. Says they refoamed the woofers. Says they got them from the one original owner.

As I am using a NAIM amp and pre-amp I am having to wait on the arrival of new cables to connect the KUBE to the proprietary sockets that NAIM uses, 4 pin to dual RCA and back again.
Speakers are running well so far, and they sounded good when auditioned, but hoping I will get a little more bass when I get the KUBE installed.

Anyway, "restoration" questions, as this is what this thread is about.
I have ordered ferrofluid for the tweeters, thought it was going to be fairly simple as I watched a Youtube video on replacing the fluid, then I see that maybe the cabinet on the mid and tweerer does not just fall apart when the screws are removed -so how do I get the tweeters out - will all become clear once I start?
The other big questions is where do I buy grille cloth? There is a small hole on one grille, front corner, - it looks like the material is stretched over fours side of the cube - is there a recommended supplier of material that stretches that much with no wrinkles?

Happy to be a member of the KEF Owner's Club at last Smile
ebf
Intermediate Contributor 25+

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, I dont think you EVER need to take apart the heads.

Unscrew the tweeter and midrange and you should be all good.

For parts, mostly Falcon Acoustics is a good source, maybe even for grill cloth.
Derekdick
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, on examination, the speakers just unscrew from the front.

Grill cloth is more of an issue, with the need to cover a cube with no seams, rather than the usual flat speaker covers. Obtaining something stretchy enough would be the concern, so if anyone has bought, and the same material is still available, then that would be good.
The eBay sellers often seem to be sold out before they respond to a question, or they are not really going to know if the material is pliable enough, and nor will I until I order a lot and try fitting it.
There is no rush, this can wait until more info is obtained.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: