SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Experience with reconingspeakers.com

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ebf
Intermediate Contributor 25+

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:24 am    Post subject: Experience with reconingspeakers.com Reply with quote

Hi,

Im looking at:

https://reconingspeakers.com/product/kef-sp1215-10-aftermarket-recone-kit-kef-107-b250/

Im woundering if anyone has tried this particular recone kit, or any other recone kits from them? Experiences?
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, not tried it and have no systems with SP1215s , so not likely to.

A word of warning, if the stated vc i.d. is correct then the clearance is insufficient. KEF 2" drivers had a 2.000 dia magnet pole piece and a 20 thou (0.020") shim was used for assembly. That means the vc should have been wound on a 2.040" dia mandrel. I would expect it to be next to impossible to avoid coil rubs using this recone kit.
ebf

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my question to them on "How close are the coils measuring from the original coils", they answered:

Quote:

The voice coils are within 10% of the original voice coils. We have been selling this voice coil for years and haven’t had any complaints about it.

I might try one out, and see how it all turns out...
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

10% of two inches is 0.2" or 200 thou Exclamation Rolling Eyes The person who told you that knows nothing about designing speakers. With only 6 thou clearance (that's 3 thou radially !!!) you'd have to be super careful in assembly and hope that the spider stayed flat and did not have any internal stresses. It might work, but for how long before something drifted or relaxed and moved 0.003" I wouldn't like to say. I can't see a 3 thou clearance being maintained over a 0.5" cone excursion either!!! Cloth spiders are just not that linear. Good luck with that, you'll need it.
ebf

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they are talking about Ohms - 10%, not the size of the cone. But will ask about the size issue...
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To clarify further; KEF's ancestry is from the older British school. Raymond Cooke came from Wharfedale, Laurie Fincham from Goodmans. In the days before cheap Chinese forgings, magnet pole pieces were mass produced by turning from standard Imperial diameter steel rod. It was cheaper to use standard stock bar for production but this meant that the factory voice coil winding machine mandrels had to be custom made. Woofer diameters were 1" + 14 thou clearance for B200, 2"+ 20 thou for B139, B300 and B250.

With the advent of Chinese pole/backplate forgings, any diameter pole could be mass produced. I suspect that the kit you've found was designed for a woofer with a metric 50mm pole diameter. 50mm is 0.8mm (32thou) smaller than 2" giving the about the required 0.020" radial clearance with a 2.006" vc i.d. (actually about 18thou if my calculations are correct)
Huba Buba
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Are there any updates on this? Did you try the kit?

All the best,
- K
ebf

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received the wrong parts. They have resent the parts that I actually ordered, but have to wait a long time for them to arrive I guess.

Will keep everyone posted.
ebf

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Huba Buba, you tried the kits right?

It went well ?
Huba Buba
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, everyone,

I actually ended up sending two drivers to Belgium for professional rebuilding, so I'm not likely to try this kit after all.

All the best,
- K
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: