SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

105/3 Refresh and Restoration

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevd
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:31 pm    Post subject: 105/3 Refresh and Restoration Reply with quote

Well it came time that my 105's I bought new in 1996 needed an overhaul and I started researching what was needed and dove in. Coincidentally an earlier vintage pair came up for sale locally with all original packing from the original owner and it was inflicted with the same issues so I bought them and used these as my learning vehicle. Wanted to share some images of the progress and end result. I have two beautiful pairs now, just waiting for my wife to ask when I'm selling them! Lol

The bodies

Getting old sucks

The body shop

Time for an oil change

Good to go

New life

New seals

Grill damage

Sounding awesome

Looking good

All together
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great. Very nice work. You must be very pleased.
kevd
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SG, yes I love projects like this, just never any time. I've been burning midnight oil to get these done, literally. I did the same for a friend last week on his 105's, he was blown away by what they became. You don't notice the degradation over time, like eyesight I guess, you just get used to it.
Thanks
RR105-3
Intermediate Contributor 25+

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:33 pm    Post subject: KEF RR105/3 restoration Reply with quote

kevd wrote:
SG, yes I love projects like this, just never any time. I've been burning midnight oil to get these done, literally. I did the same for a friend last week on his 105's, he was blown away by what they became. You don't notice the degradation over time, like eyesight I guess, you just get used to it.
Thanks

Thanks for the photos, I was really curious about what the NT25 tweeters look like from the RR105-3, I myself have the 105/3 from 1990, and the NT15 tweeters still sound fine (also according to my musical daughter with her perfect hearing), my woofers were already replaced in 2003 by replacement units supplied by the Dutch importer Transtec, and are still healthy after 17 years. in time I will replace the FerroFluid of the NT25's, I have already done this for my KEF C75's, which have the same tweeters (SP1244) BTW, my speaker cloth is stapled, and so not gleued, my 105 / 3's have the wooden frames , later versions of the frame were made of plastic.
RR105-3 / RR104ab / C95 / C75 / C60 / C10 / Chorale / Cresta 1970 / Corelli /
audiolabtower
VIP Contributor 500+

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice work indeed. I'm shocked by the state of the foam surrounds, would Kef have used them if they had known at the time how bad the degradation would progress?
RR105-3

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

audiolabtower wrote:
Very nice work indeed. I'm shocked by the state of the foam surrounds, would Kef have used them if they had known at the time how bad the degradation would progress?

The older B200's in the 7eventies all had rubber surrounds, so why KEF did use foam for the B200 units in the 105/3 is a big question.

My Foam-surrounds were gone after 13 year (2003), at that time KEF was not the company anymore as we use to know.

Inporter / representative TRANSTEC in Holland was flooded with requests for replacement units, but these were no longer delivered. after 9 months suddenly TRANSTEC then offered me new units that were made to specification at Castle I think, Notice that these replacements were also with foam surrounds, but now after 17 years they are still healthy Wink
audiolabtower
VIP Contributor 500+

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they wanted efficiency, hence low mass, with as low a resonance as possible, hence paper and foam. Lessons must have been learnt as time went on and perhaps the foam now is treated for a longer lifetime.
For sure if Kef was the same company as before they would be offering matched drive units (with a longer lifetime).
RR105-3

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

audiolabtower wrote:
I think they wanted efficiency, hence low mass, with as low a resonance as possible, hence paper and foam. Lessons must have been learnt as time went on and perhaps the foam now is treated for a longer lifetime.
For sure if Kef was the same company as before they would be offering matched drive units (with a longer lifetime).

in 2003 I replaced the 4 original SP1256 with the "new" B200 units
I did also a "refoam" of the 4 original SP1256's at the time.
Overtime I sold 2 original SP1256's, and kept 2 SP1256's in a carton-box for spare. These 2 original SP1256's their surround also are still healthy today.

with all the information/photo's on this forum and also from Audiokharma about fixing the age problems I feel confidend to do a refill of the Ferrofluid on the NT25's, and also do a restoration on the fabrics .

For me these 105/3's are the sum of all KnowHow from KEF at the time build into 1 speaker, I also also enjoy my old first love RR-104ab .

Regards, Alex
clubsport911
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive restoration...takes me back when I did a “root and branch” job on mine.

In addition, changed the BAF for Rockwool, replaced all internal wiring, renewed the bass unit grommets, re-sealed, revised the crossover for the new HF Units, fitted damping inside the 2 off lower midrange drivers.

The speakers are very nice and whilst old still make me smile.

Good work repairing yours.
oldandintheway

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work! i did mine and have to say they do sound great even 30 years later. It's a labour of love, but they are worth it.
SaSi
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have re-created a set of R107s, having only the domes complete with drivers and crossovers as well as the KUBE and main crossover. The bass units were gone due to a flood that ruined them and the drivers.

Having re-created the bass enclosure as close as possible to the original design, based on pictures from the net and some measurements sent to me, I experimented with a few KEF B200 drivers.

Between several versions of B200, the SP1014 performed best with the measurements (measuring output at the throat of the bass unit in a setup where acoustic foam was stacked all around).

The end result is certainly not original R107 but they do sound great. Comparing them with R105 with renewed caps in crossover, my version of R107 have more extended and tighter bass. IMHO, the SP1014 would do nicely. But other versions of B200 would not.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: