SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KEF KUBE for 107/2 vs 107

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ebf
Intermediate Contributor 25+

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:32 pm    Post subject: KEF KUBE for 107/2 vs 107 Reply with quote

I might be able to buy a KUBE for a 107, but Im wondering if I can use that for my 107/2 (which I have the original KUBE, but I want to modify it and upgrade some parts, like the opamps).

Are they very far apart?

My first goal is to listen and find out if I should upgrade my original 107/2 KUBE, or leave it original. Building a complete new 107/2 KUBE with upgraded parts, I guess might be expensive and maybe impossible?
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: KEF KUBE for 107/2 vs 107 Reply with quote

ebf wrote:
I might be able to buy a KUBE for a 107, but I'm wondering if I can use that for my 107/2 (which I have the original KUBE, but I want to modify it and upgrade some parts, like the opamps).

Are they very far apart?
Sorry can't remember.
RE op-amps: The circuit performance is dominated by the passive components due to the feedback configurations. It's not like valves in guitar circuits which were operated "open loop". I don't believe it's possible to improve on NE5532 op amps as far as noise and distortion is concerned. I remember Peter Baxandall, who was often used as consultant on electronics, saying they were close to the theoretical limit. He had previously designed some KEF lab equipment using transistors in a discrete op-amp configuration. When the NE5534, or TDA1034 as it first was, came out, he said there was no point in designing discrete transistor amplifiers any more.

ebf wrote:
My first goal is to listen and find out if I should upgrade my original 107/2 KUBE, or leave it original. Building a complete new 107/2 KUBE with upgraded parts, I guess might be expensive and maybe impossible?
See above. It's always a good idea to change old electrolytic capacitors. Other than that, if it ain't broke....
SaSi
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall from reading Douglas Self:
There are so many NE5532 in mixing consoles and recording equipment that the sound reproduced at home has so much of that 5532 sound that if it was something audible, little could be done about it. Or something along these lines.

There is so much unavoidable non-linearity that happens in the speaker drivers - let alone passive crossovers - that worrying about the op amps is like swimming in the sea under heavy rain and worrying about getting wet.
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaSi wrote:
I recall from reading Douglas Self:
There are so many NE5532 in mixing consoles and recording equipment that the sound reproduced at home has so much of that 5532 sound that if it was something audible, little could be done about it. Or something along these lines.

There is so much unavoidable non-linearity that happens in the speaker drivers - let alone passive crossovers - that worrying about the op amps is like swimming in the sea under heavy rain and worrying about getting wet.

+1
Parts
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was under the imptession both these Kubes were different?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: