SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice please on Celeste IV SP1145

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
simonw2008
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:57 pm    Post subject: Advice please on Celeste IV SP1145 Reply with quote

Hi - I'm new on here and after some help please. I'm not very technical so bear with me.

I've got a pair of Celeste IV SP1145 from the late 70's. They are still used regularly and still sound great, but of late, when you turn it up the bass notes vibrate. I suspect the speakers inside the cabs need re seating but I'm not sure how to get into the cabs as there is material on all 4 sides and a plastic top and bottom. Can anyone help please.
Here's a link to a pic of one of the speakers:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/yrnwjTU8RZWzo7eu7
audiolabtower
VIP Contributor 500+

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The grill is a sock and from what I remember the top plastic cover comes off, tight interference fit, and then you can roll the sock down to reveal the drive units to take the 8in unit out to get to the inside. If you are lucky just the driver screws need a tighten, unlucky the driver may be on its way out.

see 4th pic here
https://www.adverts.ie/home-audio/kef-celeste-mk4-speakers/7424386
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cloth is a sock and my initial recollection was that it was pulled tight by a drawstring at the bottom, hidden by the base. Early models had a wood/MDF base; later models had a moulded plastic base. You need to get the base off to loosen the drawstring, then the cloth will come off upwards.

Looking at the photos it looks like the larger later models had a moulded plastic top, with the drawstring at the top.

Sorry I can't remember how the different bases or tops come off. I would guess bottoms were screwed on but tops were clipped in place.
exkefman
Intermediate Contributor 25+

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As speakerguru mentioned, the Celestes (and Concords of the same vintage - late 1970s) had a slightly elasticated sock that was secured at the bottom originally by "drawstrings" hidden within the base.

I seem to recall there were 4 woodscrews (one in each corner) which, once undone, allowed the drawstrings to be undone and the sock could be unrolled. This is best done with the speaker upside down.

The top panel was inset and IIRC was held in with grille pegs. But upon removing this panel, all you'll see are countless staples holding the top of the sock in place.

The later IV versions had a moulded plastic "top" (as opposed to the fabric covered top on the III version). This had an inset square badge which if carefully prised off, gave you access to a large screw - undo this and the plastic lid came off and the sock could be unrolled.

KEF tried to sell alternative "socks" in different (plain) colours to allow customer to match the speakers to their interior decor. Sadly, the choice of colours was not very inspiring (a dull green, a dull red, a nice royal blue, even a muddy brown version). But it wasn't successful and eventually the remaining packs of socks were scrapped.

(I used to work for KEF from 1988-1995 - you can see my "profile" here: http://www.hifiloudspeakers.info/speakertalk/viewtopic.php?t=1706)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: