SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kefkit-ish - Scrap, improve or replace

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cggs
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Kefkit-ish - Scrap, improve or replace Reply with quote

Hello. New to this forum so please be patient. Since I was a student in the 70's I have used homebuilt speakers with Kef units. The final evolution (from about 10 years ago) is an infinite baffle floorstander of approx 46L with a B139 saved from an ancient K2 Celeste, a B110 of unknown provenance and a Scanspeak D2010 tweeter. I had to open them up to find out what crossover was stringing them together and to my surprise it is an actual Kef DN12. You may not be surprised to hear that I am not very happy with the performance. The lack of CS7 cabinet volume results from ill-advised compliance with my wife's wishes -although with the veneered cabinets they actually look quite respectable. I am sure that the DN12 is wrong for this application and I am wondering what to do next given that I have no inclination to start building any more boxes. I read that modern speakers are 'faster' and 'more dynamic' and whilst I can to some extent appeciate that with respect to the fine old TL designs I am sceptical about skinny modern boxes with 5 inch drivers. I have 3 options open to me. 1. Retrieve something with the existing stuff eg better crossover or even bung in reflex tube on a suck it and see basis. 2 Look for a nice pair of large classic Kefs 3. Go to a more modern Q style Kef design. I should say that previously I have played with relatively low power valve amps but now am back with the old faithful Quad 303 so watts are not an issue. I really am at a bit of a loss so all thoughts and opinions are welcome.
cggs
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:50 pm    Post subject: Kef kit-ish Scrap improve or replace? Reply with quote

No offers here so I went to a Hi FI shop where they told me they hadn't sold a CD player in 5 years and was treated to the sound of a pair of £1200 floorstanders with a Linn streamer providing the music. Amazing imaging and extreme clarity but no warmth and a slighty boxy bass. I've decided to build new proper CS7 crossovers and see how that helps.
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Kefkit-ish - Scrap, improve or replace Reply with quote

cggs wrote:
...an infinite baffle floorstander of approx 46L with a B139 saved from an ancient K2 Celeste, a B110 of unknown provenance and a Scanspeak D2010 tweeter......an actual Kef DN12....

46 ltr is in the right ballpark for effectively a 10" woofer. Have you tried any online simulators? If you want to extend the bass you could measure the system resonance and Q and then eq "a la KUBE".

The DN12 always was a bit "middley" by modern standards - maybe try a 3 Ohm 5W resistor in series with the output to the B110.

I don't know anything about the Scanspeak tweeter. You're on your own there.
cggs
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:25 pm    Post subject: Kefkit-ish - Scrap, improve or replace Reply with quote

Thanks for that. Afraid my measuring equipment begins and ends with a multimeter. Although adding the resistor you suggested might have done the job I have ripped out the DN12s and await a delivery from Falcon of the parts for a Kef designed CS7 crossover.
The Scanspeak tweeter is a really a very nice thing - very smooth and sweet treble. I originally bought them to go with B200s in a bookshelf cabinet when one of my T27s popped. They have the same sensitivity as the T33.
Wiesiek Lipowski
Intermediate Contributor 25+

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use a Linn Isobarik crossover as the tweeter there was a Scanspeak 2008 as I remember. I did that when building half-Isobaricks for my son some years ago and then I bought the inductors from Falcon.

The Scanspeak 2010s I had wouldn't match very well with the other drivers in my PRO9-TL, though with the oryginal x-over.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: