SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What idiot decided to cut a hole in these?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
audiolabtower
VIP Contributor 500+

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: What idiot decided to cut a hole in these? Reply with quote

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/kef-floor-standing-speakers-model-105-and-full-technics-music-system/132626012320?hash=item1ee12058a0:g:vp0AAOSwlgNa~KOF

eBay item number:132626012320
SaSi
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my!
I bet the guy is also proud of what they did.
I ran a simulation on WinISD just to see how the response would change by a (guesswork) 5cm port 10cm long.
It would create a 1-1.5dB bump at about 60Hz and drop the -3dB frequency by 4-5 Hertz.
Doesn't sound bad at first glance.
But cone excursion would be uncontrollable below 20Hz (bad if you are listening to vinyl) and group delay will be slightly affected.

I wouldn't mind experimenting on this avenue with this driver on a test enclosure but ruining a classic loudspeaker is a big shame.

I laughed at the claim "well maintained". Never seen so many scratches on CD players, amplifiers and such.
audiolabtower
VIP Contributor 500+

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wink
audiolabtower
VIP Contributor 500+

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did wonder if they left the series cap in the bass circuit too!
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaSi wrote:
But cone excursion would be uncontrollable below 20Hz (bad if you are listening to vinyl) and group delay will be slightly affected.

Indeed, it could be a problem with warped records and no rumble filter. However, a vented system can in some circumstances recover from LF overdrive more quickly than a sealed box. If mechanical rectification, sometimes called "float" has occured, the cone can take ages to return to its central position in a well sealed box with little leakage.
Nimo_jon
Intermediate Contributor 25+

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GBP 1800. Wow.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: