SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KEF CELESTE SERIAL 209

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ian g
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: KEF CELESTE SERIAL 209 Reply with quote

Hi all, I'm new to the forum so thought I'd get my first post up for views and comments.
I've got a really old pair of Celestes - serial number 209T (on a paper label to the back of one of them. Did they originally do this before they put the plates on the rear?) They have all the original components and work well.
My main thought was: are these the oldest pair still around or does any member have an older pair?
I'm not using them at the moment as I prefer my mid 70's JBL 15" and 2" monitor cabinets that we used to regularly use for gigs all over the place.
All comments welcome, regards, Ian Very Happy
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The model name Celeste was used for a number of different designs over the years. Many early ones consisted of a B139 plus a T15 in a range of different cabinets. Are yours one of these?
ian g
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely a T15 and a B139 in each.
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - well, the B139 has strong resonances above a few hundred Hz and the T15 struggled to have much output below it's fundamental resonance of ~1kHz, so, all of those systems had huge peaks and holes in the response in the crucial midrange. It's a wonder they sold at all and the company survived to make proper stuff later. I guess it was the novelty value of plastic diaphragms in the 60s. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: