SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

C95 - Should they should this unspectacular?!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldandintheway
Intermediate Contributor 25+

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 2:51 am    Post subject: C95 - Should they should this unspectacular?! Reply with quote

I got some C95's last week and compared to the old Cerwin Vega D1 they replaced, they sound...flat and lacking mid range. Needless to say i'm pretty disappointed.
I cleaned the ferrofluid out of the NT25 tweeters, checked the crossovers (they seem to work ok). I'm waiting on the ferrofluid, but i've tried them in the mean time and i'm just so flattened by their...flatness!

I have a KUBE 200 which makes them sound much better - but i shouldn't need it with these (should I? it being made for the 105/3s)

Any ideas? Maybe biwiring will help? Do i need a bigger amp? (Pioneer SX-636 currently)

Thanks in advance, this is pretty frustrating.
oldandintheway

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a lot of swapping around, I've figured that the mid driver is the culprit. I've transposed crossovers, tweeters and the crossovers from the rear of the mid. There's no obvious rubbing on the voice coil. Maybe the cone/surround is bad somehow?

Edit: i think the sound deadening may have been touching the back of the cone...sounds a lot better now.
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done for persevering.
oldandintheway

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I know they are capable, but second hand is never ideal. I've resorted to a spreadsheet to track any 'swap outs' (hate that phrase!) and determined that it's the tweeter that i didn't break the voice coil on which sounds dull.

They both have new ferrofluid and i'm going to try to just run them for a while to see if it beds in at all. If not, i may have to look for a single NT25 Sp1240!
oldandintheway

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I resorted to plating with position. It's possible that the axis of the tweeter is pretty accurate with regards to phase/reflection? I paralleled the speakers with equal distance to rear wall and they are not too far off...running around in circles!
oldandintheway

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HOLD UP! i have swapped everything methodically (now) and it was the tweeter (the one i didn't break the voice could wires on!) I had swapped cabinets, mid range drivers, crossovers and tweeters in the process.

So i've taken it apart and reattached the VC to the diaphragm and it works a treat! Maybe i hadn't attached the VC/diaphram properly?

Anyway, i'm now happy with them! Thanks for listening to buy rambling on.
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldandintheway wrote:
So i've taken it apart and reattached the VC to the diaphragm and it works a treat! Maybe i hadn't attached the VC/diaphram properly?

You managed to re-attach a tweeter vc (covered in traces of old ferrofluid) to a diaphragm, without assembly jigs, without damaging the coil or getting a rub! Chapeau!!

Shocked Shocked Shocked
oldandintheway

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks SpeakerGuru, I'm enjoying them now! Hopefully people won't give up on their speakers now. It's nice to hold out for a new pair of SP1240's (if you can afford them) but the old ones (unless the VC are burnt out) are fairly repairable. Well done KEF!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: