SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kan they do it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> Linn Kan, Isobarik and others
View previous topic :: View next topic  
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dynamic, forward and certainly not shy!
Amazing as to what they could do, sadly I never considered them as accurate though!

I'd love to own a pair for nostalgic reasons but would rather go back to 101s, most LS35As or even a Coda with a modern crossover!

Whatever, very pleased for you and ENJOY! Smile
Parts
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A pair of Kef R101 are on eBay at the moment. Wouldn't mind the 101 myself, but the wife might find out Smile

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Classsic-KEF-101-speakers_W0QQitemZ190186591646QQihZ009QQcategoryZ43804QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
David
Intermediate Contributor 75+

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, here is an update on my Kan situation. The Mk1s have now been modified by switching one of the new neodymium tweeters from Linn for the Scanspeak. They continue to be bright and lively. The new tweeters have a similar sized enclosure as do the Scanspeaks so it is not like some have said an effective enlargement of the enclosure. It is not so easy to get the grills off, and not so easy to pull the tweeter as it is stuck on with silicone seal. Yes there is an improvement. Is it worth the cost of the Ninka tweeters? To be honest I would say no. If you can get the tweeters at a good price then yes. I did get mine from a fellow in the UK but even with shipping and taxes it was cheaper than buying new from the Linn dealer. they would have cost me as much as the Kans would sell for.

Recently I purchased a pair of MK IIs locally for a good price. The IIs are much smoother than the 1, and right at the moment I do prefer the II sound. I have Kan 2 stands now so they are properly mounted and now have a Nait 2, chrome bumper to drive them. They are cosmetically challenged and I have put some new veneer on the speakers front edges. As they are the black ash, they are easier to repair. Mine are bi wire but not the kustone model, ie last model.

The brightness of the Ninka tweeter is ameliorated on LP. I have an LP12/Valhalla/grace 707/grado gold set up and they do sound a lot better through the table. Couldn't get a hold of the supex 900 cartridge yet to complete this 80s combo.

I saw another poster has his at least bi-wired. Has anyone tried Bi amping?

I would say that of all the equipment I have the Linn/Naim combo will be the last to go.

You guys will all be laughing at me. I sold my JRs rosewood tops with leather inlay, with powered JR sub to a friend.

David
Parts
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:

I saw another poster has his at least bi-wired. Has anyone tried Bi amping?
David

I have bi-wired my own, and in future I intend to run a fully balance bi-amp system into them.
irishnutjar
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An old thread I know but had to chip in as I love my mk1 kans! I lived in an old cottage for years with chunky stone walls & a wall of bookshelves lined with (ahem) books & albums. Nestled up in here, close to the wall the kans really sang. It was incredible, even the bass was impressive. People were looking for the woofer or some huge speakers. Eventually we moved to a 'hollow' house & I never really found that magic spot to place them. Sure they were sweet & musical but bottom end all but disappeared. I got it better after playing about but I resorted to a sub in the end. I was always told they were fussy in placement & that sure proved it to me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> Linn Kan, Isobarik and others All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: