SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Foam Surrounds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:12 am    Post subject: Foam Surrounds Reply with quote

I wonder if the forum could assist me. I have a pair of 103|4s and a pair of 104|2 in need of repair. KEF no longer re-cone these woofers, nor do they have surrounds or doughnuts. I am perfectly capable of repairing these, but where is the best place to buy replacement foam parts?
audiolabtower
VIP Contributor 500+

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the words of Basil Fawlty to be bleedin' obvious lots of choice on eprey if you search for "kef104.2 foam" but I don't know how original they are or how critical the flexibility is. Could the American or Dutch suppliers still have original spares, or are they just better at making after market stuff if there is still demand?
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I'm a naive sheltered sort of a guy Cool, but I am shocked by some of the ePrey prices. I know there's mark-up and storage and handling and shipping and overheads and... and, ... but a bit of foam costs pence!
iso
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Original NOS replecement foam surrounds might have passed their best before dates too... Also correct spare to spesific speaker from various internet supliers seems to mean next to nothing... same surrounds are sold for SP1003 and SP 1057 as correct replecements.

It might be worth at least to ask if someone like http://www.wembleyloudspeaker.com/ will supply parts you need. I suppose only best available parts will do, when you do restore old spakers as profession.

Best Regards

Kimmo
MartinW
Junior Contributor 20+

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I faced the same problem for my 104/2s in this thread: http://www.hifiloudspeakers.info/speakertalk/viewtopic.php?t=1472

FWIW I ended up buying from audiofriends in NL and had no complaints.

Good luck!
Martin
T.O. Chef
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 times (so far) I have restored 104/2 woofers with surrounds and "doughnoughts".
I've done 1 pair of 103/3's as well. MUCH easier!
Each time I sourced from US suppliers. First time the source was a restoration shop in one of the northern states. I'll look up the name for you if you like.
The other occasions I simply bought off E-Prey (USA listings) and found the product to be identical each time.

I had no complaints, though I'm pretty sure the foam itself was of a different and slightly heavier consistency than original ... though I can't swear to it. I've never opened up a new pair Smile

Come to think of it, I've never HEARD a new pair either!
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far, it looks like parts from Australia are the most reasonable price. The parts from the NL are very expensive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: